UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How to sex flowerhorn's

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Favorite Fish: : PEACOCKS OF ALL COLORS!!!!!!

How to sex flowerhorn's Empty
PostSubject: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 10:01 pm

Just wanting to know how to sex the flowerhorn I got. I guess Leon is the one the question is really for. Also how much is it worth? It is about 4 inches big now.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 10:35 pm

Post a photo. Males get the big head pump females don't Get a big one. Also Looking at the anal area the mes and females have a differant shape. Males have a v shape. Females have a u shape. You need to flip the fish over to see it clearly. The breed tube are differant males are more pointed females are larger so eggs can pass. But the breeding tubes are not always down.

Distinctive black marking on the dorsal fin indicates that it is a female. However, this is not foolproof. The same pattern

Males have a bit more color.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime10/25/2009, 7:05 am

Can you tell at 2-3"? I have 2 that I would love to know if they are M or F. I know I have 1 grade A.
Here are the pics of both of minehttp://www.usafishbox.org/show-and-tell-f51/new-fish-t631-20.htm
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 12:07 pm

At 2" it is hard to sex any type of cichlid but at 3-4" you have a better chance. I'm not a big fan of flowerhorns so I'm not all that good at sexing them they are also hybrids so that makes them harder to sex then other cichlids. They only 100% way to tell is by looking at the vent or for a breeding tube.

Fern yours looks to me like a male because he is already showing the head bump the males get. Young females will have little to no hump. But it is still hard to say. If you really really want to know hold the fish and look at his vent or anal area Females have a u shape a bigger area to pass eggs males have more of a v shape not as big. Bigger breeding tules mean female as well pointed breeding tube is male.

If you go by the dorsal fin spot yours does not have one another sign you have a male. So I would say male but don't quote me on that. Males also have more of a jarline. Tend to be brighter and more active.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 12:26 pm

Here is a mature female
https://2img.net/h/i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo181/psychogat3/IMG_0284.jpg]Female

she she still has the bump big it is not as round. See the spot or black mark on the dorsel fin...

Here is a mature male see the very round hump no black mark on dorsel fin. And look at the jar. Look at the color too. Males have more of that perl shine.

Male

the best way to learn to sex your fish is by looking at lots of photos. I can sex a blue acara from a mile away and a few other American cichlids I'm good at sexing. But flowerhorns can be hard due to them not being a true breed but just a mix. I hope that helps.

Last edited by snowflake311 on 10/26/2009, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 12:30 pm

Jarline?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 12:31 pm

Jawline. lol
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 12:34 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
Jawline. lol

yeah jaw sorry I'm typing on my Itouch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 4:32 pm

lol!
Ya those 2 are my first ever flowerhorns. If I had to guess I would guess the one with the full flower line is a male and the one with only a few spots is a female. But that's just my uneducated guess lol! I will keep adding pics as they grow and you can tell me if I'm right or not Snow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 11:05 pm

Has anyone gotten fry yet? I heard there jike bloodparrots. Hybrids.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 11:09 pm

if your talking about flowerhorns, alot of people breed them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 11:25 pm

Yes the flowerhorn. I was under the impression they were hybrids. Never have had them.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 11:30 pm

idk anything about them. i just see fry fs all the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 6:16 am

OK
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 7:25 am

They are hybrids. Some other country developed them.... But for a hybrid they go for a whole lot of money $$$ a grand a fish is not uncommon.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 11:13 am

They are hybrids. But you can still breed a hybrid to another hybrid. They were made in south east Asia.

is said to bring its owner lots of prosperity luck and good fortune in everything ranging from wealth and fame to love and happiness.

This beautiful hybrid is thought to be the end product of cross breeding between the Cichlasoma Trimaculatus, Cichlasoma Festae, Jingang Blood Parrot, and etc.

All the info you could want on them
http://flowerhornking.com/FlowerHorn/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to sex flowerhorn's   How to sex flowerhorn's Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 11:45 am

Thank you for info.
Back to top Go down

How to sex flowerhorn's
Page 1 of 1