UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Anyone breed plecos?

Go down 
+4
MIKEJ0226
R2 Ranch
tjb0408
KMX
8 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Anyone breed plecos? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 8:32 am

that some of the snails I keep in the tanks crawling around the eggs like they were trying to eat them. Has anyone had this problem? The eggs were gone after 2 days ....I’m not sure if the male eat them or if the snails did. Looking to see if anyone else has experienced something like this? Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 10:55 am

Snails will eat any eggs they can. Large snails can also eat fry. I had snails eat my cory eggs and I watched a large MTS catch and eat a cory fry.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 10:56 am

damn....They might of got like all 20 of those eggs!!! Grrrrr mad crazy
Back to top Go down
tjb0408
Private First Class
Private First Class
tjb0408

Favorite Fish: : Bettas
All types of shrimps

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 11:01 am

man that sucks but hope you have better luck next time
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 11:21 am

Start pulling any snail you see and squish them and feed them to your cichlids.
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

Favorite Fish: : Any that belong to me.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 3:13 pm

Attention all cichlids !!!! Your are invited to a snail party Anyone breed plecos? 265353
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 3:24 pm

My jewels love them!
Back to top Go down
MIKEJ0226
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
MIKEJ0226

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 4:21 pm

I have had my male eat the eggs before. Never had any problems with snails though.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 4:22 pm

They are in a 15 gallon. I want them for my other tanks they are good cleaners...but I will just clean out the 15 G and re do it. No snails just pleco only.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 4:54 pm

my old MBU could clean out a 15g tank in 24hrs = ZERO snails LOL

yummy.................. Anyone breed plecos? 624749
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 6:43 pm

KMX you may need to do a 24hr 25% solution of bleach in the tank to even think about eliminating them. Its near impossible to get all of the eggs.....
If you do the bleach soak rinse it out very very well and let it sit with water and 6-8 times the normal dose of dechlorinator in it. I would say give it 6 or so hours of that with occasional swishing.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 8:53 pm

Wow I never thought of that....they are really good at reproducing ....can't get rid of them!
Back to top Go down
tjb0408
Private First Class
Private First Class
tjb0408

Favorite Fish: : Bettas
All types of shrimps

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/24/2009, 10:29 pm

all you need is some crayfish they eat them all of them i did it and mine are very fat funny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/25/2009, 7:02 am

Just try the bleach It may work. I had a 10g soaking with 3-4 cups of bleach in it for a week or two. It got dumped and sat outside for another week. I did the dechlor rinse and didn't have and survivors.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 8:21 am

Try some clown loaches. They love snails.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 8:37 am

Not in a 15gal affraid They will outgrow a 180gal in no time!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 9:35 am

Fern wrote:
Not in a 15gal affraid They will outgrow a 180gal in no time!!!!!!!!!

It depends on what you are using them for. I've bought 2" Clowns and they only grew another 2 inch in 2 years time. They were with my fronts and just had them to clean out excess food.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 9:40 am

I would never do that to a clown loach!

KMX if you can borrow a few red jewels from someone for a month or so you wont have any snails in that tank. Mine are awesome for eating snails. I feed them snails as a treat.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 9:57 am

I have one red jewel...maby i just use him
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 9:59 am

Yup put him in there till all snail signs are gone. If the snail is too big to fit in its mouth squish it. I would squish a few anyways to let him get a taste for them.
Back to top Go down
mpoarch
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 10:36 am

my tank is covered in those damn snails.. so what do I need? I can't stand them...
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 10:43 am

Some clow loaches...or some cichlids that eat the snails...Fern says her red jewels do the trick. Im going to clear out the tank and re due it.
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

Favorite Fish: : My fish, your fish, red fish, blue fish...

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime10/26/2009, 10:46 am

Yellow labs & moorii whipe em out also!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone breed plecos?   Anyone breed plecos? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone breed plecos?
Page 1 of 1