UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Cichlid I.D.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SICKlid20
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Large Mouth Bass
African Cichlids
Shovel Nose Cat

Cichlid I.D. Empty
PostSubject: Cichlid I.D.   Cichlid I.D. Icon_minitime7/26/2011, 5:22 pm

I made the mistake of buying my first two Cichlids out of an assorted tank at a LFS. Will not be doing that again. Wondering if anyone wants to play the naming game with me? The first one only had the three large dark spots and an orange tipped dorsal when I got him, which led me toward a Copadichromis Borleyi. Now I think it looks like a Sulphur Headed Peacock. Notice the yellow on the head and blue on the lip.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/16/71/04/61/316.jpg

The second ID in question I believe to be some sort of a female hybrid Peacock. It is actually not one of the original two I bought out of the assorted tanks. One of those was a male Kenyi and far too aggressive so I traded him in. The guy told me it was some sort of Peacock, and I was naive, so I bought it. Like I said, I think it is a female, and likely a hybrid. :(

https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/16/71/04/61/210.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/16/71/04/61/110.jpg

Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

Cichlid I.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid I.D.   Cichlid I.D. Icon_minitime7/26/2011, 5:32 pm

The first one looks a lot like a Yellow Blaze Lithobates to me.
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

Favorite Fish: : Lake Malawi Haps and Peas

Cichlid I.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid I.D.   Cichlid I.D. Icon_minitime7/26/2011, 6:25 pm

Second one is definately a peacock female. If I had to guess I am thinking Red Shoulder. But a nice clear pic of her with her fins flared out would help greatly. My females have that red tip like this one does and the German/Ruby Red is far less red tipped.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

Cichlid I.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid I.D.   Cichlid I.D. Icon_minitime7/26/2011, 8:13 pm

I agree with a Lithobates (German Blaze) on the first one.
The second one is definately a female peacock, but you'll never know if its a hybrid or not, however even if a pure fish you still probably will never get a proper i.d.... Keep her and let her have a happy life, just don't breed her. If she gets "knocked up" strip her and feed the eggs/fry to anything else. Female peacocks resemble each other so much and they can even darken up and lighten depending on the situation. Heck it's hard enough to tell the males apart at the best of times and they have color.
JB
Back to top Go down
SICKlid20
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Large Mouth Bass
African Cichlids
Shovel Nose Cat

Cichlid I.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid I.D.   Cichlid I.D. Icon_minitime7/29/2011, 1:28 am

Thanks for the input guys! I do believe y'all are correct with the Yellow/German Blaze. The second pic also looks a lot like a female Red Shoulder Peacock, but mine has more of an orange tip if that makes a difference. She also was carrying I believe which made me think the Blaze could be a Peacock too. And yes, I will disallow hybridization in my tank and tanks to come!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cichlid I.D. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cichlid I.D.   Cichlid I.D. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cichlid I.D.
Page 1 of 1