UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) Empty
PostSubject: Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)   Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) Icon_minitime7/5/2011, 12:50 pm

While at Disney I was reading one of the brochures and found something about a "cichlid conservation program." I went to check it out to see what it was about. The literature sounded pretty good....

It went like this:
Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) 150

However it turned out to be like this:
Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) 152
Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) 155-1
Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) 153

While very pretty and well kept (a little over crowded for my liking) I didn't see one Victorian Cichlid in the tanks. Knowing how Victorians will "Cross-breed" with just about everything that swims I was actually glad not to see them in there. This was a lake malawi tank all the way. There were Venustus, Red Empress's, Red Zebras, a few OB Mbuna's and a few others but definately not from Lake Victoria. I asked one of the guides where they kept the fish on the "Sign" and she said, These are the only fish we have. So anyway like I said it was a beautiful outdoor "pond style" aquarium. This thing housed 3-4 hippos and 1000's and 1000's of fish.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)   Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) Icon_minitime7/5/2011, 12:58 pm

So wait... They said the Malawi tank had Victorians in it...But there were none?

Very nice tank! Love how it is super over stocked!
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)   Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) Icon_minitime7/5/2011, 1:04 pm

Yes, basically! I figured they have the Victorians in the "Back" somewhere but the tour guide said, "this is all we have". I asked if they had an Ichthyologists and he said, "a what?" so I said, "nevermind..." and left it at that. They have a wonderful set-up and with the right "person" they could really make a big impact on victorians. I'm going to write a letter and try to get something going because I have plenty of Victorians I'd love to give a home in a place like that!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)   Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) Icon_minitime7/5/2011, 1:23 pm

cool. i bet they do have them in the back the guide was just uninformed. lots of color. there is somethign similar in the San antonio zoo as i know jb knows lol. i have not been to see the SA zoo but i should go sometime in the future.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)   Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) Icon_minitime7/5/2011, 2:38 pm

Weird! Either way I bet it was nice to see some Cichlids.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)   Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) Icon_minitime7/5/2011, 2:48 pm

Thats cool to see!Thats the way I stock my tanks! lol!
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

Favorite Fish: : fish, fish, fish

PostSubject: Re: Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)   Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) Icon_minitime7/5/2011, 8:20 pm

That is really cool! I love all the colors. You would be correct Holy Rock. The only reason I know is because I saw them at the SA Zoo and have some pics. Here are the ones I took from there:

Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) 102_0010

Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) 102_0011

Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) 102_0012
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)   Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cichlids at Animal Kingdom (Disney)
Page 1 of 1