UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake

Go down 
+5
alan j t
Addictedtofish
papasmurf
Ben
KMX
9 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Empty
PostSubject: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 1:54 pm

Mother and son catch a Piranha in Woodbury Heights

Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Piranha_640x480

Virginia Dredden and her son Ronald Meekins hoped to bond over a normal fishing day on the lake last Monday; the day quickly exceeded their expectations.

Dredden cast her line into Glen Lake in Woodbury Heights, N.J., only to have it resurface with a Piranha along for the ride.

Meekins, realizing that it was in fact a piranha, notified both the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife and local police, according to the Gloucester County Times. Police arrived within thirty minutes and took the fish away; they currently have it on ice.

Woodbury Heights Mayor Harry W. Elton Jr. and Larry Hajna, an official from the Fish and Wildlife Department, said that things like this happen all the time.

“This happens from time to time,” Hajna said to the Times. “People buy the piranhas and keep it in a home aquarium and they get tired of it and they think they can release it in the wild.”

Piranhas are not common in New Jersey, but local officials assure citizens they have nothing to worry about.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Duo-Pulls-Piranha-From-NJ-Lake-124378879.html
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 3:44 pm

Yet another reason some people shouldn't keep fish.
Back to top Go down
papasmurf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Swallowtail Peacock

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 4:35 pm

I am worried that they could probably get a foothold in some parts of texas where the water stays warmer year round. I overheard a guy in a store (auto parts store) just a few weeks ago, bragging about having some piranha's to the clerk. Even though they are illegal, people will find a way to obtain them it seems. I just wish they would be more responsible and euthanize them humanely when they get too big or have a change of heart down the road instead of letting them go in public waterways.
Back to top Go down
Addictedtofish
Private
Private
Addictedtofish

Favorite Fish: : Altolamprologus Compressiceps and Calvus.

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 5:00 pm

I was just watching a re-run on Monster Quest about them and a guy in a LFS did a 5 day test on lowering the water temp in the tank from 75 down to 50 and kept records on the fish behavior. At 55 the fish would huddle together as if trying to absorb each others warmth, but by the time the temp was down to 50 them had lost all of there ability of stay upright. They were also doing some water temp tests in The lake of the ozarks where 9 different instances of piranha being caught over a 3 year period, they found there is a few spots where the water temp stayed 57 year around; warm enough for them to survive during the cold season.
Back to top Go down
papasmurf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Swallowtail Peacock

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 7:01 pm

I am sure it probably stays warm enough in south texas and parts of arizona/nevada. I have heard reports that there are severum living in arizona I believe.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 8:36 pm

ya, warm enough, but could the pirahnas spawn in those waters?
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 8:56 pm

Spawns in the summer, temps much higher .
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 9:10 pm

i promise i did not turn that fish loose...

heck i never been to new jersey, LOL
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 9:06 pm

aww, piranha got a bad rap, they arent blood thirsty. plus if u watch enough Discovery channel or Animal planet ; i saw a program once where the Amazonian region folk say only morons get bit by piranha.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 10:53 am

So, that WASN'T a community fish park?? My bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake    Duo Pulls Piranha From NJ Lake  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1