UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

discus in a planted tank

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

discus in a planted tank Empty
PostSubject: discus in a planted tank   discus in a planted tank Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 7:35 am

how many adult discus could i have in a 75g planted tank, or how many angelfish could i have in a planted 75g?
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: discus in a planted tank   discus in a planted tank Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 2:17 pm

6 is a good number, adults are even better in a planted tank.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: discus in a planted tank   discus in a planted tank Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 2:23 pm

what about a 55g.. trying to decide what to do with a tank I just bought. 75g RR, it came with the rocks, lighting, sump, and skimmer, pumps, power heads, sand, etc so might as well make it the reef tank i was plan on making it...
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: discus in a planted tank   discus in a planted tank Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 3:39 pm

I agree 6 would be a good number. One thing to keep in mind is that if they are not already adults and even to some extent if they are keeping a planted tank clean can be a pain.

If they are anything other then adults I personally think that a bare bottom tank is the way to go. It allows for maximum feedings and easiest clean up both of which are very important for healthy growing discus.

The other thing that is a pain is that in a discus tank with the temp around 86 many plants that are commonly grown in typical planted setups will not do so well.

Lastly even though the plants you will be able to use may not require it the addition of fertilize for the prized luscious plant growth would in most cases be worthless. This is of course with the assumption that regular water changes (everyday-every few days-some go longer with adults though) would deplete any added or would make you have to continuously add more. Fertilizers are of course not something that is "needed" but just something to keep in mind. Along with that is the normal addition of CO2 injection for the same reason as adding fertilizer is a risky choice. With elevated temps the oxygen level is already lower and adding CO2 can push the borderline of safe.

I ended up with a bunch of amazon swords and planted them in plastic containers so I can clean around them easily but still have a bare bottom tank. It has worked great for me and the discus really like the extra cover the plants provide. It keeps the stress down and if they do get frightened they just find the nearest leaf instead of wildly swimming around an open tank.

Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: discus in a planted tank   discus in a planted tank Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 7:09 pm

cool, i might think of something else...
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: discus in a planted tank   discus in a planted tank Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 2:17 pm

yup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: discus in a planted tank   discus in a planted tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

discus in a planted tank
Page 1 of 1