UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

how to manually split your anemone

Go down 
+5
chicknefoot87
John C.
S&FW_FishyFriend
philuponthepho
nitty
9 posters
AuthorMessage

how to manually split your anemone Empty
PostSubject: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/18/2009, 3:12 pm

cant help you here

Last edited by lordraptor1 on 3/3/2010, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/18/2009, 6:15 pm

Never did that before.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/18/2009, 6:29 pm

thats crazy, now I want to start a salt tank...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/18/2009, 7:40 pm

it is just like fragging a coral how to manually split your anemone 690297 , i would have a tub for each peice with slots or holes in it with a lid to put the nem in after the procedure and give it at least a weak of floating in the tank (holes/slots in container ar for tank water to flow through it) so it is not irritating itself moving around on the rocks or from your sand bed, fish or some other critter in teh tank. if i could get a 6" + diameter nem i would do this just so i could have 2 and save some buck not having to buy 2 LOL, i am already planning setting up this 30 long just as a nem prop tank :)
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/19/2009, 12:17 am

Really awesome, I never thought that you could cut an animal in half and it would survive and make 2, or 4. So what exactly do they eat? Do you squirt brine shrimp by the mouth or a guppy :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/20/2009, 9:01 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
Really awesome, I never thought that you could cut an animal in half and it would survive and make 2, or 4. So what exactly do they eat? Do you squirt brine shrimp by the mouth or a guppy :)

anemones get food in 2 ways.

1. zooanthelle in their tissues which they use to make food like a plant does

2. meaty foods such as silversides, mysis, krill, etc. (NEVER FEED LIVE foods as they MIGHT start killing fish in your tank)

feeding meaty foods twice a week will help them thrive although sometimes they get in places you dont want them making feeding difficult to impossible, however if they moved their on their own then they are fine. if they arent getting enough food then they will certainly move to somewhere else.

now with all of the above said and done here are some things to know BEFORE EVER purchasing a nem.

1. make sure you have good lighting (power compacts, T5HO (my preferred, or metal halide) as nems require good lighting that normal flourescent fixture just dont provide.

2. make sure you wait a very minimum of 6 month before adding an anemone to your tank to make sure your tank is mature enough to support it and it to be healthy and happy).

if you end up buying one before your tank is ready you will most likely just be tossing money down the drain when it dies, i myself have lost some stuff (my first magnificent foxface which cost me 189.99 + tax) but the second one i got 2 days after the first one died did perfectly fine and is the one pictured in my avatar.

some items will just not make it in saltwater but the better off your tank condistions the better chance all will go well, also when you purchase a nem there are a few things you can look for to make sure it is a healthy one right off the bat and not a sickly one.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/20/2009, 11:05 pm

man...., so it'll be like a year before I can attempt to try to get an anemome then. I think I'll try and craigslist an established tank then.

How much are T5 lights that everyone is going crazy for? I've been using regular ol 40w flourescent and my plants r growing like crazy still.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/21/2009, 1:42 am

philuponthepho wrote:
man...., so it'll be like a year before I can attempt to try to get an anemome then. I think I'll try and craigslist an established tank then.

How much are T5 lights that everyone is going crazy for? I've been using regular ol 40w flourescent and my plants r growing like crazy still.

ok to answer some of your questions and make a comment.

comment:

just because you get an established tank off of (say craigslist) that does not mean you will be able to add things right away. the person on craiglsist could be "blowing smoke" and selling because they did not maintain it properly and when they decided to take care of it there were serious issues. (seriously do it the right way and start it yourself and maintain it properly then you can get great knowledge and you will also notice your livestock giving you warning signs that something might need checked.

ok as far as T5HO lighting goes, there are a few things that determine how much they will cost, below is a list of some of those items:

1 wattage/legth (for example my fixture is a 48 inch fixture that uses 54 watt bulbs

2. number of bulbs the unit has (again an example mine has 4 bulbs)

3. moonlights (a fixture with night time moonlights or leds will be a little more expensive than one that does not have any)

4. new or used (obviously new will cost more, you can get used systems but i advise against it unless you are prepared to replace bulbs right away. just because you are told the bulbs are not that old doesn't mean the seller was truthful.)
an example of this is my fixture i bought it used and i was told it was only used 2 weeks, however when i got it home i realized it had a couple of issues, one of which was the bulbs were 6 months to a year old currently i am running on bulbs at least a year and a half old and i plan on replacing them friday. second issue was it had a burned out ballast. it cost me 30.00 to replace the ballast and since i am going to use geisman bulbs this time instead of the stock manufacturers bulbs my cost on teh 4 bulbs is going to be like 110.00 to 120.00 + tax at the lfs.

so with the above said, if you give me a length of the fixture you want when you get ready to do it i can do a quick search and see what kind of pricing you are looking to pay at online e-tailers.

as far as 1 year for the anemone. i can take any tank i want from dry with substrate, a hearty fish, and my filter system (also a protein skimmer for corals and nems although you could not get a skimmer right away (but i would not recommend it unless you are prepared to do weekly water changes) and use a product from seachem called stability, for stability if you follow the instructions exactly you would start wiht one or 2 hearty fish (say clownfish) and dose it with the initial dose of stability and then follow th eother 7 days as instructed on bottle and after the 8th day you couls add another fish (use stability every time you put in a new fish and add no more than 1 every 2 weeks so the biological filter can catch up).

if all you are wanting is nems and say a mated pair of clown fish then you put in your fish and use the stability as per the instructions on the bottle and in 8 days you just start maintaining it with your water changes and water tests. i recommend 6 months minimum before you put in a nem just to be sure your tanks water parameters are all A OK.

i do not know of anyone that says it is ok to put a nem in a tank until 6 months later. i did it once after about 3 weeks and right after i put it in i had an issue with water quality and then i ended up with a larger one when the nem died and turned into a puddle of goo in the bottom of the tank.

i fyou are serious about setting up a salt tank want nems i will say dont rush it, you will be alot happier. a point to consider is you spend (lets say) 50.00 on a bubbletip nem and it is (again lets say) 4 to 6" in diameter when fully opened, you would be dissapointed if you got him climatixed to your tank and he never fully opend up and only ended up being like 2 to 3 " because ti did not like the parameters in your tank.

Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/21/2009, 3:18 pm

lordraptor1 wrote:
philuponthepho wrote:

comment:

just because you get an established tank off of (say craigslist) that does not mean you will be able to add things right away. the person on craiglsist could be "blowing smoke" and selling because they did not maintain it properly and when they decided to take care of it there were serious issues. (seriously do it the right way and start it yourself and maintain it properly then you can get great knowledge and you will also notice your livestock giving you warning signs that something might need checked.

i do not know of anyone that says it is ok to put a nem in a tank until 6 months later. i did it once after about 3 weeks and right after i put it in i had an issue with water quality and then i ended up with a larger one when the nem died and turned into a puddle of goo in the bottom of the tank.

i fyou are serious about setting up a salt tank want nems i will say dont rush it, you will be alot happier. a point to consider is you spend (lets say) 50.00 on a bubbletip nem and it is (again lets say) 4 to 6" in diameter when fully opened, you would be dissapointed if you got him climatixed to your tank and he never fully opend up and only ended up being like 2 to 3 " because ti did not like the parameters in your tank.

is apparently his way of getting you mentally ready for being patient! You'll just have to wait for #5 so that you're in the practice of waiting patiently for you water to be matured enough for your nem... Just kidding!

But seriously: nothing can substitute for patience and the natural maturation of your tank, especially for saltwater tanks! Waiting is not as horrible as it sounds, if you stay busy on the forum and doing lots of research and "window" shopping at your lfs, then the time goes by much much faster! Good luck and don't rush it, cause you end up wasting money, making hard to clean messes and killing fish when you get in a hurry... take our advice and learn from others' first hand experience- saltwater tanks are expensive enough as it is, don't make it more so if you don't have to. Plus watching new growth on your Live Rock is kinda exciting! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/21/2009, 4:24 pm

S&FW_FishyFriend wrote:
lordraptor1 wrote:
philuponthepho wrote:

comment:

is apparently his way of getting you mentally ready for being patient! You'll just have to wait for #5 so that you're in the practice of waiting patiently for you water to be matured enough for your nem... Just kidding!

But seriously: nothing can substitute for patience and the natural maturation of your tank, especially for saltwater tanks! Waiting is not as horrible as it sounds, if you stay busy on the forum and doing lots of research and "window" shopping at your lfs, then the time goes by much much faster! Good luck and don't rush it, cause you end up wasting money, making hard to clean messes and killing fish when you get in a hurry... take our advice and learn from others' first hand experience- saltwater tanks are expensive enough as it is, don't make it more so if you don't have to. Plus watching new growth on your Live Rock is kinda exciting! lol!

how to manually split your anemone 858205 this is the exact thing dont rush anything in saltwater as it is better for you livestock and the big differences between fresh and salt is that freshwater is more prone to changes in water conditions which fish has adapted to.

patience is key but while you are waiting you can be thinking about what critters you want to keep and do your homework to see if the items will be compatible together and what they require for optimal care
Back to top Go down
John C.
Private
Private
John C.

Favorite Fish: : salmon tast soo good with butter and lemon.

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime11/27/2009, 8:33 pm

dude you payed how much for you fox face? how big is it? I got one for $25 same thing all it did was go up and down the right side of my tank. I hated him and gave him away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 7:39 am

John C. wrote:
dude you payed how much for you fox face? how big is it? I got one for $25 same thing all it did was go up and down the right side of my tank. I hated him and gave him away.

who was this directed at in teh nem splitting/ propogating thread? if you are talking to me i got mine at ewholesale price but the magnificent foxface can be got online for 189.99 + shipping
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime1/14/2010, 4:17 pm

Cutting them in half wont kill them? I would be worried that i would kill them :( How do they eat and stuff after they are cut in half?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime1/14/2010, 9:35 pm

chicknefoot87 wrote:
Cutting them in half wont kill them? I would be worried that i would kill them :( How do they eat and stuff after they are cut in half?

they split in nature on their own so cutting them is just a expedited process LOL. as far as how do they it after being split, nems eat in 2 ways, zooaxanthelle in their tissues from lighting and meaty foods for whatever they catch or the silversides they are fed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime1/15/2010, 12:03 am

youtube anenome split, its preety amazing to watch
Back to top Go down
shadowninja
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime1/29/2010, 5:14 pm

lordraptor1 wrote:
here are some good how to vids on youtube for how to manually frag (or split) your nem:

first a time laps of how it does it in on its own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPwi2QcLKao

now for fragginf it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5tDIoLROyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7BdqxW4ka0&feature=related

You should only do this an anemone that splits to reproduce. if done to a non splitting anemone it will DIE!
Back to top Go down
tquick17
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/24/2010, 8:06 am

RBTA is what i raise i currently have about 25-35 the count varies due to the clumps they stay together in. Also there are some really small natural splits less than 1/2 inch all over from them moving and ripping parts of themselves left behind. Once they hit the 2 inch mark the inner parts not including the tentacles i will split on the glass into halves, If bigger than 2 inches i will do 4's all depends on my mood. THis procedure is done every 2 months not a fast process and i dont do them all. Just in case i feel like selling one or trading one i want at least 1 month heal on them before removing from tank. Some say it release toxins cutting them and leaving them in the tank. So i say make sure you have a good skimmer thats what its for. I also have them naturally split as well. They will do this if i over feed them as well. Food silversides, 250 watt metal halides, squid and whatever they catch from fish feeding. Just a heads up wholesale on rbta right now run about 60-80 so why not raise some.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 12:45 pm

you have ALOT of em!!! lol
do you sell em?? if so how much? just curious
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Favorite Fish: :
Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 10:21 pm

yeah i'm with alk... where you at? you got some people interested in cali! how to manually split your anemone 772341
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to manually split your anemone   how to manually split your anemone Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to manually split your anemone
Page 1 of 1