UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

New sponge Filters

Go down 
+3
KingBichir
KMX
CajunGator
7 posters
AuthorMessage
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

New sponge Filters Empty
PostSubject: New sponge Filters   New sponge Filters Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 10:35 am

i have discussed with many people how long it takes a new sponge filter to have a well established bacteria count to sustain the aquarium it will maintain. I know it must be properly sized for the tank. Many people have different opinions on this topic. So lets hear your experience to assist many of the new members to aquatic fish keeping!

usafishbox
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

New sponge Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sponge Filters   New sponge Filters Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 10:39 am

I buy mine before I need them. I change my spoonge filters once a year. Before I change them I leave the new ones in the tank about a month before I use them.
I do not connect them while in the tank soaking for a month.

Just what I do. I have never learned or herd how ....just all based on my thought on how to do it.
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

New sponge Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sponge Filters   New sponge Filters Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 10:46 am

I like to rotate the sponges from my grow out/quarantine tank to get them going
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

New sponge Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sponge Filters   New sponge Filters Icon_minitime6/13/2011, 4:02 pm

i got 3 sponges in my aquaclear, i rinse one once a month and rotate it to the back
Back to top Go down
Zuly
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Zuly

Favorite Fish: : All Male 90G Peacock/Hap Tank

New sponge Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sponge Filters   New sponge Filters Icon_minitime6/14/2011, 12:25 am

Today I added 2 Hydro Sponges #3 to my 90G and 2 Hydro Sponges #2 to one of my 29G (from kensfish) just in case I need them in the near future to cycle.

Great Topic you Cajun you , lol!

Would like to hear what others have to say also.

chicken dance
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

New sponge Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sponge Filters   New sponge Filters Icon_minitime6/14/2011, 7:12 am

I keep several sponge filters going in different mature tanks for if and when I need them to help cycle a tank.
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

Favorite Fish: : fish, fish, fish

New sponge Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sponge Filters   New sponge Filters Icon_minitime6/14/2011, 12:43 pm

do sponge filters work better than hobs? i have never used sponge filters.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

New sponge Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sponge Filters   New sponge Filters Icon_minitime6/14/2011, 3:37 pm

I use them in fry tanks . And some Grow out tanks . And they are real good Bio holders , so when kept in a mature tank with the air running they gather bio. Then , when I need to cycle a tank fast , I just move the sponge filter to the new tank . One LFS near me , only has Sponge filters in all his fresh water tanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New sponge Filters Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sponge Filters   New sponge Filters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New sponge Filters
Page 1 of 1