UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Cholla in shrimp tank?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Cholla in shrimp tank? Empty
PostSubject: Cholla in shrimp tank?   Cholla in shrimp tank? Icon_minitime6/5/2011, 1:09 am

I am planning on setting up a shrimp tank have some CRS A-S coming next week and I decided to drop some cholla wood into it (boiled it first). Now my snails have exploded in one week I went from not too many to the gravel is moving...wait I do not have gravel in that tank. Seems like the cholla wood is easy food for the snails. It really is so bad it looks like I might have to go to plan b and tear down the tank with the cholla wood. Also water is always cloudy with zeros all across the test spectrum. Tank has been set up and cycled for almost 4 months now 30 breeder with eheim eco 60 and a sponge filter. Any one else have problems with cholla wood or use cholla wood I would be interested to hear what you have to say..

Thanks as always Elrollo
Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

PostSubject: Re: Cholla in shrimp tank?   Cholla in shrimp tank? Icon_minitime6/5/2011, 7:25 am

I've had it in all of my tanks that have plecos and shrimp (RCS). I too, boiled it, for a very short time. Mine was pretty then. I had no problems with it and the plecos and shrimps ate it up. I also have snails (pond, ramsom, assasin)in all my tanks and I did not see a snail explosion. I would have it now, if the price hadn't went up so high.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Cholla in shrimp tank?   Cholla in shrimp tank? Icon_minitime6/5/2011, 3:28 pm

i have the same problem. my tanks water perameters were perfect but i had a constant cloudiness to it. just cant seem to get it crystal clear. i figure its the consequence of having alot of driftwood, plants, and stuff that like that that is keeping the bacteria in suspension in the water column.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Cholla in shrimp tank?   Cholla in shrimp tank? Icon_minitime8/30/2011, 6:16 pm

well i just let nature take its course and after 3 weeks of cloudiness. the tank water is crystal clear, with an ever so slight yellow tint likely due to the tannin from the driftwood
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Cholla in shrimp tank?   Cholla in shrimp tank? Icon_minitime8/31/2011, 5:59 am

I have Cholla in a few tanks . Shrimps and Pleco's Love it . And , in my planted tanks , it is a great Ramshorn snail trap . Every morning when I turn the lights on , I take the Cholla out and shake it over the trash can .
And I have not ever had snail explosions or cloudy water from it .
Ray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cholla in shrimp tank?   Cholla in shrimp tank? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cholla in shrimp tank?
Page 1 of 1