UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?

Go down 
+5
Ben
CajunGator
Demonkegman
brokeashell
Yeti
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Empty
PostSubject: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 12:37 pm

I'm looking at making a background for a 30G FW tank and wondered if it was possible to actually design it such that I could then fit into the design a couple of the LED circles.

http://www.mainlandmart.com/ledmart.html

http://www.mainlandmart.com/ledring12.jpg

Item number: LEDRING-12(LR-A12), Submersible LED light ring
Ring inside diameter: 5/8"
Ring outside diameter: 1 5/16"
Ring thickness: 5/8"
Super bright submersible LED light ring with 12 LEDs, available in all white LEDs or RBG color automatically changing LEDs, 120V/12VAC 200mA indoor/outdoor UL transformer, submersible cord length 33', cord leads out from bottom of the ring. Price: $24.95/each; 2 or more, $22.00/each
Shipping included to 48 U.S. continental states

The theory is that this would allow me to create areas that would be illuminated, and areas of shade, giving the fish what I think would be a more natural environment, and yet letting me see them.

Of course I could just build a new canopy and install the LEDs, lighting directly over the tank (and probably cheaper too), but I was wondering if anyone has had a go using these.
Back to top Go down
brokeashell
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
brokeashell

Favorite Fish: : Peacock Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 12:41 pm

I tried this...

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3671+19788&pcatid=19788

IMO the LEDs were too bright. I had it behind rocks and it would still light the entire room up at night.
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 2:35 pm

Thanks for that input, as I really want to keep the light focalised. I notice it doesn't say what the light output is. Makes me think even more about making an over head lighting display instead.
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Favorite Fish: :
Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 5:48 pm

good ideas though!! seems pretty dope.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 6:02 pm

awesome setup...
usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 8:59 pm

Sounds like a nice setup to me. Id like to see some pics if you go through with it.
Back to top Go down
Alton S
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Alton S

Favorite Fish: : Lake Malawi Haps and Peas

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:25 pm

I have been thinking about this too. Good to know they was very bright at night. All I can find around here are pond lights and my first reaction was WOW they are big. Wonder if they come in smaller sizes. I agree with being able to direct the light too. Would be a great feature.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 10:02 pm

Don't they made underwater LED air wands? I always wondered how that would look at night.

Found it LED Air want *LINK*
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 2:38 am

I must admit for $16 each, a couple of them do seem tempting, especially as they would be easy to build in, in the vertical position if I were to build side walls that came out, hiding the source of the light.
Brokeashell do you think that would make it to bright?
Back to top Go down
brokeashell
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
brokeashell

Favorite Fish: : Peacock Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 10:08 am

strikingthematch wrote:
Don't they made underwater LED air wands? I always wondered how that would look at night.

Found it LED Air want *LINK*

I have that and I have the light off because it is crazy bright! Even behind rocks it is very bright. Near blinding at night if the LED's are pointed at you. Also, the suction cups get hard over time and don't work well.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 11:18 am

Thanks for the input. I can easily see why that would be a problem. I have some of the small LED blue lights in the hood and they shed just enough light to see the basics of the tank. I like it because you can see the fish doing their thing without knowing they are being watched.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 11:35 am

Yeah I agree with broke the marineland led bubble wands are too bvright bought some greens and blues for night time...and it looks like you can land a plane in my fish room.

Had to bury them to get them to stay in place because the suction cups will not hold it when bubbles are going.

I think they look cool just a bit over powered 1 or 2 leds like many light strips have seem to work much better.

Let us know if it works and how it goes it would be cool to get one of the circular one and put a plant in the middle of it for focal point.
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 1:34 pm

After the feedback I'm going to avoid any disappointment and waste of money on the light wand.
As I said I'm hoping to create areas of shade and areas of light, the light wand sounds as though the fish may feel they are in a maximum security prison. Oh... great for Convicts?

I'll look a little more into the other style and maybe send them an email asking for the PAR etc before going ahead with the plan.
Back to top Go down
anern
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime6/3/2011, 8:48 pm

More and more Professional led lights tech information on the topledsupplier website: http://www.topledsupplier.com/ .

A new way to lights up your life for led grow lights.

http://www.ledlightsliving.com/led-grow-lights-c-105.html

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?   Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Underwater LED lighting. Anyone tried it in a tank?
Page 1 of 1