UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

new fish/ problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jgrem91
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids

new fish/ problems Empty
PostSubject: new fish/ problems   new fish/ problems Icon_minitime4/26/2011, 9:23 am

ok so i just got rid of a 12 in. pacu from my 55 gallon and added a 4 in. pangasius catfish. in the tank also are a 4.5 in. oscar, 4 in. Jack Dempsey, 2 in. convict cichlid, and 2 in. common pleco. after the first day, the water fogged up pretty bad and the catfish wont eat anything i have offered. i also noticed a white spot on each of the pangasius' fins. what is going on? what should i do? keep in mind this tank is a growout tank and i am getting a 125 in a few months and will be trading the pangasius back to my LFS when he gets too big, so dont lecture me on how big they get ;) i know.
Back to top Go down
jgrem91
Private
Private

new fish/ problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: new fish/ problems   new fish/ problems Icon_minitime4/26/2011, 10:55 am

please reply!
Back to top Go down
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

new fish/ problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: new fish/ problems   new fish/ problems Icon_minitime4/26/2011, 11:04 am

I'm definitelty not a pro or anything, but I'll try and help.
I have a couple questions,
1. did you quarantine the pangasius catfish before adding him? he could've had a parasite that infected the other pangasius (i'm assuming theirs multiple considering the way you said it)
2. did you change filters on the tank? if you did, that could explain the cloudiness.
3. how long has the pangasius been in there? alot of times when we introduce a new fish to a tank he or she won't eat for 2-3 days, so it may just be a matter of needing to wait
4. I know this isn't related, but, won't the Oscar and Jack Dempsey eventually kill each other, because they're both very aggressive fish.
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

new fish/ problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: new fish/ problems   new fish/ problems Icon_minitime4/26/2011, 12:59 pm

This is about your cloudy water: I think when you took out that 12 inch pacu some of the biofilter died off, which is natural. The cloudy water is the bio-bloom of the dying-off bacteria. It will resolve itself in a few days as the biological bacteria adjusts to the new bioload.

The cloudy water isn't a problem. Do some small water changes in the next few days.

I can't advise you on the pangasius without seeing it. He might have a parasite; the white spots might be cysts. How many white spots do you see? Do you see more every day? How big are they? A clear photo would be helpful.

You said the catfish won't eat. Do you mean the pangasius or the pleco?
Back to top Go down
jgrem91
Private
Private

new fish/ problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: new fish/ problems   new fish/ problems Icon_minitime4/28/2011, 6:45 pm

couldnt get a clear photo, the pangasius is eating now, and i tried raising the heat and putting some salt in to .3 salinity, and left the tank dark so all the bacteria blooms would die, its taken a couple days but its starting to clear up nicely. ill get a pic of the catfish's fins, there are 2 white spots, one on the end of each fin. i think kthey are just attck marks from when he was first put in the tank, they should heal up soon.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

new fish/ problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: new fish/ problems   new fish/ problems Icon_minitime4/28/2011, 8:44 pm

From what you wrote are the white spots on the tips of the fins?
Back to top Go down
jgrem91
Private
Private

new fish/ problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: new fish/ problems   new fish/ problems Icon_minitime4/29/2011, 11:06 pm

yes they are on the very ends of the fins. cant get a clear picture on my shoddy camera lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

new fish/ problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: new fish/ problems   new fish/ problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new fish/ problems
Page 1 of 1