UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

New aquarium question

Go down 
+2
fishface30
bikers50
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bikers50
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Live Bearers

New aquarium question Empty
PostSubject: New aquarium question   New aquarium question Icon_minitime4/14/2011, 8:13 am

Question, IM wanting to set up my new aquarium today, it came with an under gravel filter, is it ok for me to use it, with live bearers because of the fry. I would think it would be ok since its going to have alot of gravel on it. IDK, what does everyone else think?
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: New aquarium question   New aquarium question Icon_minitime4/14/2011, 8:27 am

seems ok. Are you using power heads or air to pump the UG tubes? I would think that power heads might be too strong for fry, but maybe you can turn them down when there are fry.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: New aquarium question   New aquarium question Icon_minitime4/14/2011, 8:28 am

IF you are worried about fry then use sponge filter. I am not a big fan of underground filters but thats just me.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: New aquarium question   New aquarium question Icon_minitime4/14/2011, 8:29 am

If its air driven it should be fine. Just make sure to fill the tank using half-old water from another aquarium and also add nitrifying bacteria. It will help quick-cycle the tank.
Back to top Go down
bikers50
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New aquarium question   New aquarium question Icon_minitime4/14/2011, 8:52 am

Thanks a bunch everyone! Great info! Ill be working on it today!
Back to top Go down
scottyofala
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
scottyofala

Favorite Fish: : angels, discus, fronts,plecos,and well i just like them all!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: New aquarium question   New aquarium question Icon_minitime4/14/2011, 10:08 am

i New aquarium question 858205 with kmx. not a big fan of under gravel filters. they tend to couse more problems the there worth. hard to clean and after a while it builds up wast and your ammo will spike. id just use a sponge filter. good luck
Back to top Go down
bikers50
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New aquarium question   New aquarium question Icon_minitime4/14/2011, 12:13 pm

Great info, iLl have to decide which way to go, im getting all kinds or input as far as filter wise, some say they ungergravel is so much easier and other say they are a hassle. IDK, ive got a fluval 404 on my hex and a big double one that came with the aquarium on my 55 gal. So guess ill have to make that decision soon. Gotta decide what I want to put in the tank as well. Decisions, decisions! LOL!!
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: New aquarium question   New aquarium question Icon_minitime4/14/2011, 12:21 pm

bikers50 wrote:
Great info, iLl have to decide which way to go, im getting all kinds or input as far as filter wise, some say they ungergravel is so much easier and other say they are a hassle. IDK, ive got a fluval 404 on my hex and a big double one that came with the aquarium on my 55 gal. So guess ill have to make that decision soon. Gotta decide what I want to put in the tank as well. Decisions, decisions! LOL!!

If you want something easy, I doubt if anything is easier than a pump and a sponge filter. If you are worried about the fry, I would agree with the others, a sponge. I havent used an UG filter since I was younger. Too much of a hassle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New aquarium question   New aquarium question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New aquarium question
Page 1 of 1