UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

OTB filter and carbon use

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bigmckyfan
Private First Class
Private First Class
bigmckyfan

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids

OTB filter and carbon use Empty
PostSubject: OTB filter and carbon use   OTB filter and carbon use Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 7:24 pm

Hi all...First of all let me say thanks for attention you may give to this post. Now on to my questions. I have a 55 gallon FW moderately planted community tank. I have an OTB filter on it now that came with carbon. I know that many people only use the carbon to clear the water on occasion or to get remaining meds out of the water. I have been using the filter for mainly surface agitation and to filter out the heavy particles. I have been using leaf zone plant supplement for my plants. That being said I would like to know how to reconfigure my current filter to clean the water sufficiently without using carbon or removing the liquid plant food supplement. All my fish are healthy and happy and spawning, I just want my plants to stay healthy and grow. I have seen where some people layer their existing filter with media like fluval biomax and polyfil to help with water clarity. Please help....I know a canister filter is best but I do not have the funds for that right now.

Thanks again for the attention. Attached is a pic of that tank. I have also remove the bubble stone.
OTB filter and carbon use Fish_311
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: OTB filter and carbon use   OTB filter and carbon use Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 7:40 pm

If you are after just removing larger particles you could always leave the carbon bags in there with no carbon in them. You could as you already mentioned add some bio max or similar in a bag to help with normal water filtration.

Pretty much removing the carbon from the bag won't effect your ability to clean the water of larger particles or effect the bio filtration as long as the bags remain in there.

You can also use a pre filter that would attach to the inlet pipe of your current filter to remove large particles before they enter your filter making for a quick and easy clean when you do a water change. Only downside to this is it could reduce the flow of the filter but the filters are very cheap and last pretty much for ever.
Back to top Go down
bigmckyfan
Private First Class
Private First Class
bigmckyfan

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: OTB filter and carbon use   OTB filter and carbon use Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 7:54 pm

Thanks...is there anything that will clear up the water some other than the carbon?
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: OTB filter and carbon use   OTB filter and carbon use Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 8:44 pm

I use mostly canister and sponge filters but a good polishing pad makes for some very clean water. Just have to replace them when they start getting clogged. You should be able to buy them in a sheet rather then individual filters and cut them out to size. I don't know how it work work in a HOB but in a canister Purigen makes the water sparkle. It removes organic wastes but that also includes Nitrate which is something your plants will need. So kind of a win/lose there. There is only so much you can do with the HOB as far as media goes BUT in all my tanks that I use them on I never have a problem with cloudy water.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OTB filter and carbon use   OTB filter and carbon use Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OTB filter and carbon use
Page 1 of 1