UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

African Cichlids

Go down 
+5
ladykeona
KMX
strikingthematch
2SciCrazed
JoannaLyn
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JoannaLyn
Private
Private

African Cichlids - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: African Cichlids   African Cichlids - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 6:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Have a 55 gallon with 2 African Cichlids... Would like to add more color (currently two bumble bee type) However - what other types of cichlids can I mix in with them? Every time I ask at the local pet store, they tell me none - ONLY the basic ones that we have... I have numerous tanks set up - but really no experience with Cichlids... Any help would be appreciated..
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
jake
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: African Cichlids   African Cichlids - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 9:34 pm

so many variables-bumblebees are very agressive-they are a zebra,I think which generally indicates a more aggressive type-electric blue johanni,cherry red,red top cobalt-there are many to choose from-do you have all males or 1 to2 ratio-would be best to have all males for a show tank-can increase variety -the real issue is filtration.how much extra-two large hang ons will be fine for around 15,but as they get older and larger,some will have to go.some will get picked on naturally and wont be able to run w/ the big dogs-its only natural.An african peacock or mbuna can get large in a 55.when they start gettin big 7+,maybe your down to 3 to 5.It takes a few years or more to get that big depending,so you have time to decide which ones you like best.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: African Cichlids   African Cichlids - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 9:50 pm

The bumblebee is from the family Pseudotropheus the zebra you are referring to are from Metriaclima.

From what I understand all male tanks can really help with aggression with these guys but with some species having completely different colors between ales and females (if colors what your looking for) then that can be a touch call. All I know is that if they are not guarding eggs they are still bullies but most can dish and take.
Back to top Go down
jake
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
jake

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: African Cichlids   African Cichlids - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/21/2011, 12:57 am

It's aggressive just the same.I stay away from them.They tend to set the peacocks off.I keep peacocks because even though they can be aggressive,they're not as bad,and its good when your fish arent always killin one another
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: African Cichlids   African Cichlids - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

African Cichlids
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2