UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) Empty
PostSubject: Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures)   Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 12:39 pm

I was just leaving for work when a guy came in and dropped off 5 young green terrors. Even though I didn't have a tank set up there was nothing the store could do for them, so I brought them home. I'm setting up the tank now. In my initial search I found that they like warm water, usually above 75 and a neutral pH. I'm going to test the pH of their current water and my water and will probably opt to acclimate them slowly to my water. I have some filter media from my 10g I could use (for now all I have is a 10 to put them in).

I do not plan to keep them long term. I'm just caring for them until I can find someone to take them in. They really are beautiful. I'll take some pictures once they get settled in.

Anything else I should know about these guys? They are not too big. Maybe 2-3 inches each. So I know the tank is entirely too small for them, but there was nowhere else for them to go at the time. The guy said his fish keep breeding so he just wanted to drop off the babies with us. cursing

I also read they are omnivores. I have tropical flakes, bloodworms, brineshrimp, bottom feeder pellets, algae wafers, veggie flakes and I plan on getting them some small cichlid pellets when I go to work tomorrow.

Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) IMG_20110314_170116

Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) IMG_20110314_170056

Also, I'm having issues with my filter. It is a Millennium 3000. I originally had it on a saltwater tank. I cleaned it up, put filter pads in there and started her up and nothing....just a gentle hum. Usually when I start a filter up I make sure there is tank water in the filter to start with. Nothing happened. So I went to remove the intake tube to see what was going on and all of the sudden it started spurting air and making really loud noises and the humming got really loud. I'm guessing its time for a new filter, huh? I'll pick one of those up tomorrow too. And gravel too.

Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures)   Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 4:44 pm

I have never had terrors but have had my experience with SAs and the food you have will work fine with them along with the cichlid pellets. I used to keep my SAs around 80 because they seem to thrive in warmer temps.

I have extra space in a 55 if you can't find a home for them soon and want me to help hold them. I live about 2 minutes from your work lol.

I would say it is probably time for a new filter.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures)   Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 5:03 pm

I am looking to finding them a new home so if you'd like them you are more than welcome to them. I want to get into cichlids eventually but I don't want terrors.
Back to top Go down
Dan W.
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : To many to list but mostly Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures)   Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 7:01 pm

Nice looking fish and easy to care for, the food you have is fine. On the filter sounds like the impeller is just out of aline or clogged. Can remove inlet tube and motor to access it. lol
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures)   Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 8:35 pm

If you can't find a home for them after this week I can catch up with you one day next week and house them until I can find them a more permanent home.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures)   Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 7:41 am

If I get my bigger tank set up and fix/buy a new filter, I could house them until the next Chapter meeting and offer them in the auction, all money going to the Chapter. :)

I gave them some bloodworms and they ate those up like crazy. One fish looks like he's got a deformed jaw. Its blunt, while the others have semi-pointed jaws. You can see him in the first picture on the far right. Any thoughts on that? And is it possible to tell sex yet with these guys?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures)   Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green Terror Cichlids (updated with pictures)
Page 1 of 1