UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus

Go down 
+4
steves_kiki
TankGirl
jessecichlidguy
Cohazard
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Empty
PostSubject: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 11:43 am

My friend gave me the 30g tank for free, and I knew as soon as he gave it to me that I wanted to set it up for puffers.

I set it up in one day with a cycled filter, and plants from another tank.

I bought the rocks and driftwood specifically with this setup in mind, there is lots of space under the driftwood.

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus 164392_180743081956151_100000613809395_451883_7623059_n

I used some gray/black pea gravel:
Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus 164894_180753191955140_100000613809395_451916_5196000_n

When I was at the LFS, I must've looked crazy arranging pieces of driftwood together, but I had to find some that had a natural flow together:

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus 165310_180766808620445_100000613809395_452174_3615322_n

Once the hardscape was done, I filled it:
Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus 168317_180772395286553_100000613809395_452228_3876765_n

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus 179306_180782368618889_100000613809395_452259_6936854_n

Checked how it looked with lights on, to decide where the plants would do best:
Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus 164347_180785228618603_100000613809395_452280_3241496_n

Added plants:

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMAG0555

The wood was new and untreated so it still leaches a lot of tanin between water changes:

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5289

Still a work in progress, I have to add anubias, more fern, and moss:

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5325

Lunch! and a nice shot of the gravel:

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5300

This is home to a male and two female dwarf puffers, and the livebearers (have had no fin-nipping issues so far).

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5323

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5322

The drab female in front, the metallic female and the male in the back:

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5309

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5311

I breed ramshorn snails in a separate tank:

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5327

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5334

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5337

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5338

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5340

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus IMG_5346
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 11:47 am

NICE pics and tank set up
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 11:49 am

Thank you Jesse, I can do better with more patience but I rushed lol

I added more plants to the tank, and need to tie down some more java fern lace and anubias some time today.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 12:14 pm

my ladies always wanted to do a puffer tank so i bought her a 5gl with mini stand and hood so you and i will be talking about the puffer deal
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 2:58 pm

jessecichlidguy wrote:
my ladies always wanted to do a puffer tank so i bought her a 5gl with mini stand and hood so you and i will be talking about the puffer deal

Cool, i'd be happy to share what i know. I got most of my info from dwarfpuffers.com, and other info from first hand experience with them.
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 12:48 am

I finally got around to removing two anubias nana and some windelov from another tank and attaching it to a driftwood in this tank.

I'll have a pic up tomorrow, I did a water change and there were too many bubbles.

Hopefully I'll go to my favorite 'plant' LFS in monterey park tomorrow and pick up some ludwigia and more anubias and ferns to put in my 60g.

I'm also on the look out for a larger piece of wood and I think I found it $$$
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

Favorite Fish: : Lake Tanganyikan cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 6:24 am

Really lovely setup! I'm also impressed with how healthy the DP's look, even in the bag. These are fun little fish and you've got a great place to keep them, plus it is very attractive as well - great job!
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 6:49 am

Very cute! I love puffers! I tried once and failed....maybe I will try again 1 day!
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 6:55 am

Your tank looks awesome. You have some nice aquascaping skills!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 7:58 am

This is an awesome set up!!! Love the puffers!!!! Keep up the amazing work, great Pics!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 8:00 am

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus 858205 Very nice set up!
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 8:24 am

Very nice setup! If that is what you do quickly...I'd love to see one with great thought put into it sometime. But then again maybe you are like me and too much thought leads to multiple changes and never being satisfied with it.
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 10:45 am

Thanks for thr cimpliments everyone.

@wildbeanerz, you hit it dead on. i added more plants with more thought and i feel like i ruined the scape. will add more today to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 12:05 pm

Beautiful. I love the puffers :)

Julie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 3:00 pm

Are you doing brackish? What SG is it at?
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 6:55 pm

FishVixen wrote:
Are you doing brackish? What SG is it at?

Not at all. The Carinotetraodon genus comes from purely fresh waters in Borneo/Sumatra/India.

The other members of this genus (C. lorteti, C. Borneensis, C. irrubesco, C. salivator) grow larger than the travancoricus, but only by a few inches. They are all beautiful true fresh water puffers.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus   Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Setting up my 30g tank for C. travancoricus
Page 1 of 1