UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My double 55 gal DIY stand

Go down 
+6
Elrollo
wildbeanerz
lifeisgood
MarkM
mike205
KMX
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

My double 55 gal DIY stand Empty
PostSubject: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 6:27 pm

took more time to buy the materials than to build it.
My double 55 gal DIY stand NewangelsandCeasar026-1
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 10:50 pm

My double 55 gal DIY stand 565291 My double 55 gal DIY stand 565291 My double 55 gal DIY stand 565291
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/12/2011, 10:53 pm

My double 55 gal DIY stand 858205
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 6:00 am

very nice!
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 6:04 am

My double 55 gal DIY stand 265353 good Very good !
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 10:32 am

Nice! I like how you left a lot of room above the bottom tank!! My double 55 gal DIY stand 393849
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 11:06 am

That's the 33L tank was just their to get it out of the way
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 11:13 am

look s good yes
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 11:15 am

FishVixen wrote:
That's the 33L tank was just their to get it out of the way

Oh! Woops! LOL

Didn't realize they are the same length. Still like it though! My double 55 gal DIY stand 393849
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 1:19 pm

Very nice! Wish I could build things like that. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the materials cost you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 3:27 pm

about $30 for all the material.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 4:00 pm

Wow. I'm going to have to figure out how to make one of these!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 4:19 pm

very nice. now paint to black lol.

the 2 x 4's could support more weight on thier other side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 4:52 pm

I was thinking of that.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 10:47 pm

CE.. you buy the beer and I'll do the work! Tools in the truck as I speak! Oh.. and a place (garage) to cut/assemble. Oh.. and maybe a plant or sumptin... Bill in Richmond.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 10:50 pm

is that a double 55 setup or a quad 55 setup??? lol (mirror, lol)
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 11:19 pm

Oh.. almost forgot.. 3 inch deck screws.. about 5 lbs... (7) 2" X 4" X 10 feet (*1)
screws are about 7 bucks a box.
The 2 X 4's are about $4-5 bucks.
The screws are about 8 bucks per 5 lbs.

(*1) = I'm guessing the dimensions of the size of her tank/stand... so ya might wanna add a few additional bucks and go with 12' 2 X 4's.. (a 10 footer is just over 4.00 and a 12 is just under 5.00)

I come up with just under $40.00 but FV is one hellova scavenger! I can call her that because I built a 12' X 10' deck for a total cost of $109.00 which included 2 X 10 joist, 4 X 4 posts.. and had to spend $65.00 for the decking and $12.00 for the paint/stain. Bill in Richmond, Va.
p.s. My brand is Molson Ice. A 12 pack "aughta get er dun"..
"
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 12:04 am

Urs.. I've built a ton of things over the many many years so I'm going to offer this critique with a kind heart.. I'd give you a B+ for the design but here is where you fell short of an "A+"... Maybe take it as a debating point if I'm going to build one for that other poster here! OK?... please OK?

So that you understand what I'm talking about, I'll give each piece of the construction my name...
The corner 2 X 4's are ummm.. corners.
The 2 X 4's scabbed along side them are "braces"
The 2 X 4's running the length of the tank are "runners"..
The boards going from front to back, stringing the two halves together we'll call stringers.

The scabbed boards beneath the bottom tank could go to the floor.. taking some load off the screws holding them to the corners.

The runners (underneath each tank) I'd have stood on edge. Laying flat, there will be a tendency to sag in the middle, creating more stress on the tank bottom.. On edge you pick up more than twice the strength. The runners, running front to back would be oriented the same way.. providing that same strength although it isn't as critical that distance but does create a level playing field.. if ya know what I mean.

If you eliminate the bottom 2/3rd of the scabbing on each corner and only applying it beneath the top platform, it leaves you room to fish air hoses, electrical etc without the tank being butted to the scab. That scabbing at the bottom doesn't add any structural integrity.

Beneath the top tank platform (runners) you've tacked on a 2 X 4 horizonaly. That is a very weak spot on it.. run a 2 X 4 on edge front to back.. You'll get 2 screws on the broad side versus one..
Again, the 2 X 4's beneath the tank should/could be set on edge.

A couple of add-ons.... Between the front and back corners, run a 2 X 4 to make a shelf for air pump.. or use a 2 X 10 notched to create a nice shelf..
The final touch.. I'd nail a 12" X 12" piece of plywood beneath the bottom rail to hold my beer and ash-tray.. .
Hope you take this in the light it was intended... My first stand was made 100% out of 4 X 4 beams!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 1:37 am

Thanks for the advice. Can I add the 2 x4 on edge under the 2x4 that is flat to give the strength,
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 1:43 am

The lower unit yes... The upper unit would take a bit of re-do.. But you've your upper tank installed me thinks... If I remember right.. during my scavenger hunt at your house! <GRIN>.... Bill in Richmond.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 1:50 am

Now ya can snag some old dresser drawers or kitchen cabinet drawers, install some small wheels on the back end.. and have storage underneath the stand! Bill
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 1:57 am

Oh... forgot to admit my blunder... that 35 I picked up had a stand built not as sturdy as yours... and it wasn't home made... It had been setting on their deck for a couple of years. Now that it's filled, it leans a tad! I'm hoping it holds up till I half drain it... (120 lbs or so).. and re-brace it... I just (10 seconds ago) put a 30" level on the "corner" and it's 1" out of plumb! Sheezzz.. before I call it a night I might have to prop something againstt the Leaning Tower of Piza! Bill
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 2:00 am

Hell.. I think I have enough scrap 2 X 4's around to make a new one tomorrow!.. Perhaps a photo assembly for the group! Bill in Richmond, Va. ... Plus I might learn something myself! Bill Still in Va.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 2:12 am

Oh Oh Oh... a neat lil add-on.. cut a pair of 1" X 2"'s by the depth of the tank plus 5 or 6 inches... nail them on each end, underneath the tanks, with the excess sticking out the back side.. Great place to store the air pump, power strip.. and any air valves. oh. after you ran a board from end to end over the "stumps" sticking out the back.. Bill (freaking time to get some sleep.. ).. Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 2:46 am

Sleep what's that? lol! Would love to see a step by step photo collage of a build.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My double 55 gal DIY stand   My double 55 gal DIY stand Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My double 55 gal DIY stand
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next