UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Anybody have a Quarantine tank?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 8:45 pm

I am toying with the idea of setting up a quarantine tank for at least my saltwater tank (soon to be tank(s)- plural) for incoming fish so as to avoid the tragedy of infecting my old fish with something from a new fish... And wondered if anyone here had experience with quarantine/hospital tanks with salt or freshwater... It sounds like a common sense thing to do- put up a 10-20 gallon tank for use when a new fish comes in and keep them there for several weeks until they are given a clean bill of health... What do you all think? ('fish')
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 8:53 pm

I have 1 10gallon set up for that.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 9:06 pm

What all do you have in it? I was going to put in a heater, filter, thermometer, light w/hood, some plants (plastic) and something to hide in that can easily be cleaned. Do you think it is best to use a sponge filter in the quarantine tank? Or maybe one with a sponge in it, like the Aquaclear type of filter...?
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 9:25 pm

I put mine in a 10 gallon for 14 days... thats the amount of time it takes for the complete life cycle of common parasite. 10 days for ich...14 for anchor worms...ect.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 9:54 pm

h0ngkn0t2 wrote:
I put mine in a 10 gallon for 14 days... thats the amount of time it takes for the complete life cycle of common parasite. 10 days for ich...14 for anchor worms...ect.

Anybody have a Quarantine tank? 858205 I have a 20gal. hospital
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 10:43 pm

14 days... Now is that for Freshwater only... cause mine will be for Saltwater (will set up one for fresh too, just later...) I read that for saltwater you had to do it for 3 weeks cause of some certain parasite, but I don't remember which one at the moment...
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 10:58 pm

My saltwater I do 10 days and use a teaspoon of copper each day. Copper's good for ick
and a lot of other parasites in salt water.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 11:14 pm

nitty wrote:
My saltwater I do 10 days and use a teaspoon of copper each day. Copper's good for ick

What size tank is your quarantine? Have you ever had any parasites slip through the cracks?
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 11:25 pm

S&FW_FishyFriend wrote:
nitty wrote:

What size tank is your quarantine? Have you ever had any parasites slip through the cracks?

I use to keep tangs and ick is really common on those fish. Then I kept a 20gal. long.
At the first site of infection, I took the fish out for 10 days of treatment. They always
look better after 5-6-7 days. But I still kept them separatedfor the whole 10 days. I
don't have a QT tank now for my saltwater, but I need to set one up soon.

I see you want a Mandarin Dragonet, make sure your live sand has been established
for at least 4-5 months. They thrive in/on it
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/21/2009, 11:32 pm

nitty wrote:
I see you want a Mandarin Dragonet, make sure your live sand has been established
for at least 4-5 months. They thrive in/on it

Yeah, I know.... that's for probably at least 6 months down the road! I have to get my 80 gal up and running first... Then wait.... ..... ..... .... zzzzzzzz.... ..... ..... ('lol!')
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/22/2009, 7:42 am

For FW I always have a spare filter running on one of my tanks or extra media in a filter. That way I can just throw together a QT tank when I need it. Yes QT is a very good idea. I got a bad batch of neons once and just put them in my 75g and lost most of them to ich within 2 days.... Now I always QT.
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

Favorite Fish: : Any that belong to me.

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime9/22/2009, 7:47 am

I have a 10 gallon up and running at all times. fish
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody have a Quarantine tank?   Anybody have a Quarantine tank? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody have a Quarantine tank?
Page 1 of 1