UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

180 gallon Reef build.

Go down 
+9
Demonkegman
mike205
popebosephus
alkomist
08can-am
wildbeanerz
KMX
BFinley
cwhip
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

180 gallon Reef build. Empty
PostSubject: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 7:12 am

there seems to be some interest here about Reef Aquariums
so I thought I would start a thread on one of our builds to help others get an idea
of whats involved. this is a 180 gallon reef ready tank with dual corner overflows and a homemade 75 gallon sump/fuge.
in the beginning I started collecting things that I would need to make this happen some things I purchased new while others I bought used like this Euro Reef skimmer for 25 dollars which is in use today and works wonderful without dropping 800.00+ on a new one. I also use diesel bags to filter as well.
180 gallon Reef build. 005-12180
here it is in use as you can see it works very well.
180 gallon Reef build. 002-16
here is a 130 lbs of live rock that I also purchased used for 100.00 which saved me alot of $$ over retail however I did test it for copper before using it in the tank.
you can test it my using a cheapo HOB filter with poly pad inserts if the pads turn blue the rock has been exposed to copper.
180 gallon Reef build. 007-10180
ok on to the build I think I will start with the sump/fuge it is a 75 gallon tank that I made compartments with thick plexi glass that will withstand the flow passing through the sump and 100% silicone to secure them to the sides. on the left side of the sump is where the skimmer sits it skims the water as it passes down from the DT into the sump and on the right is the pump that pumps the clean water back into the DT in the center is the fuge where I keep Cheato and more live rock this not only adds greater water volume but also the macro algae is great for nurient export and if I have a trouble making fish I can throw him in the fuge:)
theres 2x 300 watt heaters in the sump/fuge and you can see on the right that the plexi is staggered to act as a bubble trap so micro bubbles will not be an issue in the Main display
180 gallon Reef build. 018-8
the fuge.
180 gallon Reef build. 006-13
always use check valves to prevent floods.
here is the tank the day we got it home with some help by other reefer friends it was over 300lbs empty. we reinforced the stand with 2x4's in each corner and since this tank is going in the great room over the garage we reinforced the floor with 4x4's underneath the tank.
180 gallon Reef build. 030-3180
to be continued........

Last edited by cwhip on 12/23/2010, 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 7:58 am

the rock work I wanted to make plenty of hiding places for the fish I planned to keep.
180 gallon Reef build. 027-5180
180 gallon Reef build. 025-10180
finally the tank is up and running with lots of adjustment to the flow over several days.
180 gallon Reef build. 009-12180
180 gallon Reef build. 008-10180
the lighting we chose is a Aquatic life 3x150 watt HID and 4x39 watt T5 and I supplement this with 2x36inch 3 watt each cree LED strips this was money well spent.
180 gallon Reef build. 013-9180
180 gallon Reef build. 003-31
180 gallon Reef build. 004-29
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 8:11 am

I use polypropylene mesh to cover the top of the tank using black screen frames and corners I purchased from home depot this keeps jumpers in the tank and keeping the top of the tank open helps with gas exchange. the polypropylene will not burn or melt under the heat of the HID's
in the summer I use a clip on fan from walmart to move the heat away from the top of the tank so I have no need for an expensive chiller the tank stays 77-78 degrees
year round.
180 gallon Reef build. 017-7
180 gallon Reef build. 015-13
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 8:23 am

for flow I have upgraded to 2 MP40's one on each end positioned directly across from each other one is the Master and one is the Slave when one is powering up the other winds down I set mine to reef crest mode. I also use 2 Koralia Evo 1400 pointed toward the back of the tank at the surface to keep the surface water moving.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 8:47 am

the tank changes constantly and new critters show up almost daily now.
180 gallon Reef build. 043-6180
180 gallon Reef build. 008-14
here is a baby bubble tip anemone that showed up probably a hitchhiker on the rock along with some other life.
180 gallon Reef build. 075-1
180 gallon Reef build. 021-8
180 gallon Reef build. 004-20
180 gallon Reef build. 009-13
180 gallon Reef build. 024-3

Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 8:51 am

Thats an AWESOME tank!Thanks for sharing.Keep it coming! yes
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 9:00 am

Amamzing!

$$$
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 9:10 am

the tank is slowly maturing and started to get pretty purple coralline algae growing
which takes a good amount of calcium for it to grow so I started dosing pickling lime mixed in RO/DI water and use it as my top off water daily this acts as a kalkwasser.
I am not ready to invest in a pricey calcium reator at this point:) but I did decide to run ROX 0.8 high grade carbon in a BRS media reactor which has really helped the water clarity. old pics but you get the idea with the coralline.
180 gallon Reef build. DSC_0053-2
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 9:19 am

KMX wrote:
Amamzing!

$$$

yes it can be expensive when you go all out but in the beginning I just turned a 55 gallon fw tank into a reef by using LS,LR and a hang on back skimmer then I got addicted and found myself with 3 reef tanks thats when I decided to combine them all into one large tank so basically I already had most of what I needed to get start expect the tank then I added on little by little.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 9:20 am

Cindy...you give us beginners something to look up to! yes Beautiful tank!
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 9:39 am

WOW
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 9:42 am

I'm fixing to go salt!I can't wait until I do.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 9:42 am

thats the whole idea wild I think its so cool to see others take the leap to salt. some people here seem interested in it so I thought why not help after all thats what these forums are for:) for me I went straight from fresh to reef and its been the most amazing adventure and the best thing I have done when it comes to the Aquarium hobby I'm not saying fresh isn't great too but as you know there are new critters in a saltwater tank showing up all the time theres just never a dull moment
and it doesn't have to break the bank either it all depends on what a person wants.
my 1st cost 300.00 dollars to convert to reef then I just kept adding on and on and on till I combined them all to the 180. the little 40 gallon breeder I got off Craigslist the entire RR setup was 300.00 and it came with all the pumps, fuge skimmer even the light all I need was the rock and sand which was also purchased from other reefers. the deals are out there you just need to look and beware.

Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 9:47 am

Yes with everyone here at usafishbox and all my friends that have SW close to home I should be able to handle it.I've been working on the SW tank and the store I'm working at and learning alot stuff.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 10:05 am

pretty Nifty tank!!
what kind of pump are you using for your return??
also that light Fix is SICK!!!!!!!!! i know that cost your a pretty penny:) LOL
your amount of Coraline algea is awsome!!!!!!!!!!
and i agree their is never a dull moment with reef systems!
im always looking at one of my buddies tanks and new things pop up ALL the time!
one question though......with that light over the tank why dont you have a Maxima clam?? LOL just messin;)

oh and nice carpet Nem!! looks huge!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 10:18 am

alkomist wrote:
pretty Nifty tank!!
what kind of pump are you using for your return??
also that light Fix is SICK!!!!!!!!! i know that cost your a pretty penny:) LOL
your amount of Coraline algea is awsome!!!!!!!!!!
and i agree their is never a dull moment with reef systems!
im always looking at one of my buddies tanks and new things pop up ALL the time!
one question though......with that light over the tank why dont you have a Maxima clam?? LOL just messin;)

oh and nice carpet Nem!! looks huge!

its a 1800gph supreme I started with a 2300gph but it was too big so I switched back.
the coralline is doing good for the tank only being 6 months old in that pic.
the carpet nem is actually a toad stool leather he's aready been fragged but grew right back.
I do have a clam those pics are older I will need to take updated shots.
180 gallon Reef build. 007-24
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 10:31 am

40 breeder the evolution.
180 gallon Reef build. 011-9
180 gallon Reef build. 009-16
180 gallon Reef build. 007-18
180 gallon Reef build. 007-19
180 gallon Reef build. 010-14
180 gallon Reef build. 037-9
180 gallon Reef build. DSC_0063
180 gallon Reef build. 027-8
180 gallon Reef build. 013-18-1-1
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 10:33 am

^ Koo!
i love clams! thats what peaked my interest in the whole SW thing!

so how old is your tank?
for 6 months (in that pic) it looks to be bout a year!
also i love the yellow tang in their too!!!!!
the clam looks awsome!
any pics of it with the skirts open and mantle showing?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 10:45 am

the 180 will be 10 months on the 1st of Jan. the 40 nem tank will be 4-5 months I had no cycle with either tanks because I used my seed water and dirty cheato.
best I can do with the clam he shuts up tight everytime the flash go's off.
180 gallon Reef build. 013-20
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 11:34 am

WOW what a thread had my full attention the whole time reading. What would be the most expensive piece of needed equipment to switch a FW to SW?
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 11:38 am

skimmer and lights!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 11:41 am

FishVixen wrote:
WOW what a thread had my full attention the whole time reading. What would be the most expensive piece of needed equipment to switch a FW to SW?

what are you looking to convert to sw?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 11:43 am

a 55 gal with a 20 sump. I would like a reef set up.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 11:56 am

FishVixen wrote:
a 55 gal with a 20 sump. I would like a reef set up.

is this what you have? is the tank drilled "reef ready"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 12:31 pm

I have a 55 not drilled and a 20 gal. Muliple HOB filters, heaters and other FW equipment. I know I need lights. Skimmer (I know nothing about skimmers), LS, LR, and pumps to move the water. What I'm asking is which is the one expensive item I need as I will have to buy piece at a time on a budget. Can I do a HOB ref in a 55? (I think they make them?) and not use the 20 for a sump?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 180 gallon Reef build.   180 gallon Reef build. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

180 gallon Reef build.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next