UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

18 gallon reef tank pictures

Go down 
+4
chicknefoot87
philuponthepho
nitty
Miller09
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

18 gallon reef tank pictures Empty
PostSubject: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/27/2009, 10:35 pm

welcome2

Ok so i got a reef tank for my bithday but it still needs alot of work to be where i would like it to be. I only have a few corals in the tank. When i got the tank it was already up and running for some years. It is 18 gallons with a 5 gallon refugium. Their is a 96watt PC lighting. no skimmer or filter. I am running the tank bare bones. I am unsure as to what else i can add in here. can ya guys give me some info or thoughts. Here are some pictures of the reef tank. sorry if they do not come out right i will repost the pictures.

18 gallon reef tank pictures 1227091915a
18 gallon reef tank pictures 1227091914b
18 gallon reef tank pictures 1227091914a
18 gallon reef tank pictures 1227091913
18 gallon reef tank pictures 1117092038
18 gallon reef tank pictures 1104091645
18 gallon reef tank pictures 1104091645a
18 gallon reef tank pictures 1227092127

So i hope you all enjoy the pictures and once again thank you for any info that you guys can share.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/27/2009, 10:46 pm

You definitely need a protein skimmer to remove organic waste from fish(nano skimmer), a small mechanical filter should be good(small penguin), The lights you got have your soft corals looking great. Nice xenia, button polyps and branching hammer.
Let me know if you need anything.

Great looking tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/27/2009, 11:51 pm

18 gallon reef tank pictures 858205 looks good
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 12:02 am

Looks amazing!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 11:07 am

Nitty,

Thank you very much. I got the tank as a full set up. The guy who i got the tank from said the tank had been running for about 6 years with out any filters. I want to try to keep the tank running like it was sitting in the ocean. I have used the nano skimmer before and they never lasted very long. the motor on them only lasted 3 months. do you have a better brand to try? I would love to add just a few more things but i am not sure as to what i would like to add. also I am useing mircole mud in the ( i know i spelled it wrong ) refugium.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 1:05 pm

I use Oceanic biocube protein skimmers in all my small tanks. I have a 24nano dx, 12nano, and a 14 biocube.
The oceanic skimmers are I think 8" long. Do you have any type of koralia in there for water movement? If your close, I have lots of frags right now that would do great under PC's.
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 2:09 pm

Nice tank! yes
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 8:16 pm

Wow. Nice work here. good
Back to top Go down
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 9:11 pm

Nitty, I Live in Orange County, CA. I wish i was close that would be great to be able to share frags with people but not really any people here in OC, CA does that. as far as water movement the guy had it set up with some POS system but i am going to change that out with a wave maker and 2 power heads. There is no power heads in the tank and it looks super clean this way. I will have to check into those skimmers. I dont want anything to be seen in any way. I know I am being very picky but this is my 1st reef tank and want to keep it looking super clean looking.

my next step is to install the LED when i order them and to find a nice online store to order from but i have heard such bad things about it so i am unsure as if i would ever order online or not.
Thank you to everyone who has left comments on the pictures.

Miller thanks
Back to top Go down
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/29/2009, 3:57 pm

ok so is everyone ready to laugh at me. I was moving some rock around and i found a freakin mushroom in my tank. my god what a total find lol. I am finding new things all the time in this tank. thought everyone would get a kick out this.

Miller09
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime12/29/2009, 4:58 pm

Mushrooms multiply pretty often under PC's.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 2:04 pm

i know im pretty late here but.....wat are pcs???
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 2:16 pm

wow. lots of stuff for a 18 gallon tank. it looks great!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 2:17 pm

pcs are power compacts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 2:18 pm

looks really good
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 2:19 pm

and wat exactly is a power compact? lol
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 2:23 pm

alkomist wrote:
and wat exactly is a power compact? lol

Power compacts are a form of high output lighting that are often used in reef tanks to put out a lot of light without taking up a lot of room and without using tons of electricity. In reef tanks it is most common to find either PCs (power compacts), MH (Metal Halides), T5s, or LED lighting. Or you can find a combination of two, three or all four. There are pros and cons to each of them and most are a lot more expensive than your standard florescent strip lighting system.

Last edited by S&FW_FishyFriend on 2/11/2010, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 2:30 pm

ooooohhhhhh......thanx for clearing that up for me fishy-friend!!!!
lol
thanx! 18 gallon reef tank pictures 772341
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 2:34 pm

of course nitty forgot to mention T5 High Output lighting LOL
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime2/19/2010, 1:50 pm

have you added anything else to ur 18G?????
would love to see more pics of it!! it looks great!!:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 18 gallon reef tank pictures   18 gallon reef tank pictures Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

18 gallon reef tank pictures
Page 1 of 1