UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jm42
Private
Private

HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g Empty
PostSubject: HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g   HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 9:28 pm

My female betta is in my 10g tank with 5 glowlight tetras and she is nipping at there fins i guess trying to show dominance. She is in there because I have a male in the 2.5 gallon and I am going to breed them in a couple weeks. I was wondering is there any type of fish that I could add to the tank that could be the dominant one but not hurt the other fish? I don't have a bowl or anything at the moment to put the female in so help!!! Shes only gotten to one of the tetras but I'm worried she'll get the others too. THANKS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g   HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 9:34 pm

They are nippers, theres not much you can do.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g   HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 10:26 pm

pretty small tank to do anything with really.. even if you add plants and stuff for the tetras to seek refuge in, you won't be able to add much, and still, tetras are schooling fish that move around often.

if you add another female, that won't solve anything either. one or the other will become dominant and the other will be tormented. one female would become the sacraficial lamb.

if you want to not do anything with your current fish and buy some time, you may try putting a few feeder guppies in to divert her attention. but then again, most feeders are kept in terrible water conditions and come with diseases. you don't really want to put those fish in a tank with other clean fish.

just move the female or the tetra. you do have another tank for the tetras anyway, right? since you did say you plan to breed the bettas soon...

Back to top Go down
jm42
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g   HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 11:59 pm

I don't have another tank right now because the male is in the 2.5g and I was hoping all would be fine in the 10g while I was waiting to introduce the female to the 2.5 in a couple weeks. Oh well, I can just get a bowl for her tomorrow and just make a small sponge filter for it or something. Funny thing is theres 5 tetras(was 7) and 4 ghost shrimp, you would think the ghost shrimp would be an easy target but I guess they aren't a threat of being dominant. But I am getting that bowl asap tomorrow so I can get her out of there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g   HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 12:01 am

try putting her in a larger breeder net until you can move her.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g   HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 12:09 am

Good idea (breeder net)

but the 2.5g will be way too small to breed the bettas in!

you want to use a 10g or a 5g if you can't use a 10g.

see if you can get a 5g used, or cheap easily, then you're issues will be solved.

otherwise just get another 10g - you can usually find a used one for $5-$7 on Craigslist locally. will probably be cheaper than a 5g anyway.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g   HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 7:57 am

A dollar store or a craft store will probably have a suitable container for her. They really dont need a filter if you keep up with water changes, they are a labyrinth fish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g   HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP!!!! Have a weird question regarding a female betta in my 10g
Page 1 of 1