UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

plants that will grow in low light

Go down 
+4
alkomist
Flapjack
KMX
plantedtankdude
8 posters
AuthorMessage
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

plants that will grow in low light Empty
PostSubject: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 10:10 pm

"Plants that will work in low light tanks....

This list of plants do well in a Low Light setup. Common names are first then after are there Scientific name.

credit goes to me and people on planted tank

Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus
Windelov Java Fern, Windelov Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
Narrow Leaf Java Fern - Micro...sorum pteropus v. 'narrow leaf'
Java Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
Green Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma
*Sunset Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Ceylon Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon'
Rotala Rotundifolia - Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala Rotundifolia sp. Green - Rotala rotundifolia sp. 'Green'
Rotala Indica - Rotala indica
Hornwort - Ceratophylum demersum
Parrots Feather - Myriophyllum aquaticum
Moneywort, Water Hyssop - Bocapa monnieri
Brazilian Pennywort, Pennywort - Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Crypt Wendtii - Cryptocoryne wendtii
Crypt Balansae - Cryptocoryne Balansae
Pygmy Crypt - Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Guppy Grass - Najas guadalupensis
Anubias barteri - Anubias barteri v. barteri
Anubias barteri 'marble' - Anubias barteri 'marble'
Anubias barteri v. 'glabra' - Anubias barteri v. 'glabra'
Anubias nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana'
Coffee leaf anubias - Anubias barteri v. 'coffeefolia'
Crypt retrospiralis - Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
Crypt spiralis - Cryptocoryne spiralis
Golden nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana golden'
Narrow leaf nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana narrow leaf'
Petite nana - Anubias barteri v. nana 'petite'
Philippine Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Philippine'
Red Java fern - Microsorum pteropus "red"
Crypt Becketii - Cryptcoryne becketii
Pelia - Monosolenium tenerum
Waterwheel Plant - Aldrovanda vesiculosa
Bacopa - Bacopa caroliniana
African Water Fern - Bolbitis heudelotii
Hornwort - Ceratophyllum submersum
Crypt Aponogetifolia - Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia
Micro Crypt - Cryptocoryne petchii
Tropica Sword - Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
Downoi - Pogostemon helferi

*Do not need high light to attain pink color. Dosing Iron can bring out this color.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 10:16 pm

good
Back to top Go down
Flapjack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : GUPPIES!

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/16/2010, 8:22 am

sweet, thanks for the list
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/16/2010, 8:26 am

nice list
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/16/2010, 9:08 am

Excellent entry!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/16/2010, 9:12 am

now when you say low light do you mean regular flouresent lighting?
or what kind exactly?
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/16/2010, 10:52 pm

cool thanks for the list
do you know where to buy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/16/2010, 11:25 pm

all my javas and crypts came from other planted tank keepers it's usually cheaper and better plants.

https://usafishbox.forumotion.com/manuals-f153/lighting-chart-t5205.htm#72993]lighting chart
Alk see this guide
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 6:53 am

ok thanks
i got some water sprite from fern and i want ot get some others she said she would let me know when it was ready
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 9:19 am

you're welcome... low light is a big term and it's a old term when people say low light they are talking about 1-2 wpg watts per a gallon. that came back from a dumb you need 2-3 watts per a gallon to grow plants. that is back when there was just t12 bulbs..

now t12/ t12 ho / t12 vho
t8 /t8 ho
t6
t5 / t5 no/ t5 ho
t4

vho= very high output
ho high out put
no= normal out

this what let me to putting that lighting chart.

in my opinion people need to understand p.a.r. photosynthetically active radiation.
because 2-3 watts is no out dated. is a VERY basic start but that is very general and quite out-dated due to the variety available modern lights with varying lumens per watt lights, different wavelength, focused lumens, PAR output, etc..
Photosynthetically Active Radiation is the spectral range of solar light from 400 to 700 nanometers that is needed by plants
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 9:49 am

nice! thanks for that info:)
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 11:00 am

plants that will grow in low light 393849 thanks for the info now i know why my java fern burned out
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 11:03 am

Ok so what is the best spectrum for plants?
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 11:10 am

67k?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/18/2010, 7:22 am

it more of what your eyes like......... in my opinion there is no such thing as "the perfect color spectrum for growing plants".... 5,000 to 10,000k grows plants.

I like a mix of 6,700k and 10,000k or 6,700k and color max. to repeat myself 5,000 to 10,000k will grow plants. 6,700k has more of the yellows,reds,and slight greens of the color spectrum, well 10,000k has the purple and blues of the color spectrum. plants both need reds/yellows and blues/purples of the color spectrum to photosynthesis.

Chlorophyll-a will take in the yellow/red and chlorophyll-b will take in the purple and blue.

why does 5,000 to 10,000k work in my opinion think of it this way. 6am would be sunrise your 5,000k then around 9-11am would be the 6,700k area, then 4-6pm would be 10,000k then after that it's night time..

why is wpg old and doesn't really work because not all bulbs are the same in my opinion.

you have lumens, p.a.r./-(nano-meters)color rendering index, etc on each bulb.

The lumen-a measure of the power of light perceived by the human eye.

color rendering index (CRI) (aka color rendition index) is the measure of light to reproduce various colors spectrum in comparison with an ideal or natural light source. ...(exp. cool white, warm white, etc etc)..

par- Photosynthetically active radiation, it's the wave band of solar radiation from 400 to 700 nanometers that photosynthetic organisms are able to use in the process of photosynthesis.

chlorophyll - coloring matter of leaves and plants, essential to the production of carbohydrates by photosynthesis.

chlorophyll-a is C 55 H 72 MgN 4 O 5/chlorophyll-b
C 55 H 70 MgN 4 O 6

Last edited by plantedtankdude on 11/18/2010, 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/18/2010, 9:38 am

So a combo of those is best?
Very good explanation! Most of my planted tanks are by windows so I have never really had to worry much with the lighting I'm using.... But its a very good thing to know!!
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/18/2010, 10:22 am

you're welcome, I've learned alot on plantedtank and aquaticplantcentral, and hanging out with dfwapc(dfw aquatic plant club)..

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/18/2010, 10:52 am

There's lots of digging involved over on plantedtank to get it in layman's terms...
I am able to grow lots of plants very well but I use the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) Method; dirt, sand, flourish excel, decent lights or a window and fish poop is the main fertilizer. That's pretty much all I do, but There is always so much more to learn!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 2:24 pm

Quick Question Wal-mart brand aquarium/plant bulbs...would they work (2700 I believe) wife bought me ton of them and now cannot return them receipt was washed and they have sinced stopped carrying them...kinda makes me wish she just gave to me 5 months agon on my birthday, o well still love her
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 3:27 pm

I tried them and got one plant out of 10 bulbs.
Back to top Go down
PatrickDominick
Private
Private
PatrickDominick

Favorite Fish: : Small pretty ones mostly

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 6:11 pm

They do work with the right substrate. I use the Walstad method for the most part (kitty litter, topsoil capped with gravel). I have some nice plants still going from those bulbs. Just threw them in and they started growing. For any bulbs that do not grow you can send them in with the reciept to the manufacter whose address is listed in the back. They send you several more in about 8 weeks. If you lost your reciept, just buy another pack, then take the bulbs that didn't work and return them with the receipt you just got (waiting to see if any from the ones you just bought don't grow).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 9:33 pm

Mine were in a similar set up but not with kitty liter. I have heard you can send them back to the company.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 12:31 am

hmmm maybe i can switch out one bulb in each set to give me a better spectrum...thanks for the info guys and gals
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 6:48 am

good info plantedtank..thank you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: plants that will grow in low light   plants that will grow in low light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

plants that will grow in low light
Page 1 of 1