UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Minimum tank size for discus????

Go down 
+4
BFinley
pillierox1
istrober
jm42
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jm42
Private
Private

Minimum tank size for discus???? Empty
PostSubject: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 1:17 am

Was planning on getting 2 of them with a pleco and a couple snails, what would be the minimum tank size i could use? I have a 29 tall right now but don't know if that'd be too small.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 7:18 am

People say about 55Gl minimun, they get to grow pretty quick...
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 8:12 am

They get get to be 8 inches and they lik 6 or more in a group, their slow movers so I think I would for a 75 or bigger if ur getting any bc once u get 2 u'll want more
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 8:31 am

Yes 55g should be a minimum tank size,but a 75g or bigger would work a whole lot better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 10:19 am

discus do not do well in small groups under 6 so I would reccommend to wait to get at least a 55 and buy 6.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 10:31 am

ya but once they get bigger u will need a bigger tank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 10:37 am

yes you will. discus will stunt growth very easily.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 10:49 am

yep very delicate!!!! if u do want to do discus read read read!!!!! thats all i do wen i decide to get a fish and make sur that they will be good with my fish or how hard to care for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 10:57 am

Discus are more for an experience person in the hobby as above they are delicate and need good water quality. They also catch disease easily. Start out with angels and see how you do with them then go to discus.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 12:12 pm

ya
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 12:41 pm

Shoot im always afraid to do anything with mine, once they get sick the less likely for them to survive, and if u get them sick then it is more likely for them to die bc of sickness and stress of moving so be careful
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 5:32 pm

I have 4 four to five inch Blue Diamonds in a heavily planted 55 with a Spotted Leaf Fish and two Zebra loaches.........This tank is heavily filtered using Ammochips in the media boxes...................You can do this if you watch the water quality and do good tank maintenance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 7:39 pm

yes dano and you have experience with discus which I respect and admire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 7:58 pm

A 90g is a good size for a group of 5-6 if you can....
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 8:02 pm

Yes I understand ur point dano but some hav difficult time havin the time to do that so u want some le way to giv urself, if I didnt hav plenty of fish space I would hav problems since I hardly hav time
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/14/2010, 11:41 pm

you could easily do 6-7 in a bare bottom 55g gallon that how I did my discus, then once they got bigger I moved them to my 135.
Back to top Go down
kleankord
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Clown Loach, Panda Cory

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 7:51 am

Just to throw my experience story into the pot.. I've had less luck with angels than discus. I'm still relatively new to discus, but in just under the year I've kept them I haven't had deaths, and in the same tank I've had some angels die. Luck of the draw. Some of my discus are shy and don't eat much, others will fight off any fish in the tank for food. that's 13 discus in a 125gal.

I also grew out 6 fry from 1" to about 3-4" in a 29 gal.. I've kept a pair in a 29 gal as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minimum tank size for discus????   Minimum tank size for discus???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Minimum tank size for discus????
Page 1 of 1