UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

I'm so confused!

Go down 
+5
snowflake311
Shaysfishys
alan j t
CajunGator
nitty
9 posters
AuthorMessage

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 5:15 pm

It seems like there are a zillion different color names for discus and no decent guide on what it what! So can any one share a link to a site that has some decent info on the proper classifications of them? Or tell me what yall would classify mine as?

Tiger
I'm so confused! DSCN3707

Freckles
I'm so confused! DSCN3706

Orange Soda
I'm so confused! DSCN3705

Scarface
I'm so confused! DSCN3704

Zorro
I'm so confused! DSCN3703

Tiny Tim
I'm so confused! DSCN3702

Blue
I'm so confused! DSCN3701

And yes laugh at their names all you like! I had to let my kids name a few fish lol!
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 6:01 pm

Those names actually fit.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 6:10 pm

They look right for me.. Nice!!!
Back to top Go down

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 6:26 pm

Thanks Nitty and Gator. I'm looking for the type names.... Like are Scarface and Blue blue diamonds? Are Tiger and Zorro red turquoise? And what the heck is Tiny Tim? He has spots and stripey's..... Its all so confusing!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 7:35 pm

oh fern, nowadays the breeder name them whatever they like so you can buy the latest strain. idk

but the one have are blue diamonds,pigeon blood,turquoise and maybe a tiger
and ther other red/orange could be a marlboro red
the first one could be a briliant turquoise.
Back to top Go down

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 7:50 pm

I know they went and made it all difficult for beginner discus folk like me I'm so confused! 196631

So Blue and scarface are blue diamonds or cobalt's? They seem one in the same to me.
Orange Soda is a Marlboro red?
Freckles is a pigeon blood?
Tiger is a brilliant turquoise?

Who is a tiger?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 7:54 pm

Jill i think you need a DISCUS COLOR Variant POSTER!!

I'm so confused! 265353
Back to top Go down

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 7:59 pm

Man I've been all over the web and just getting more and more confused sick
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 7:59 pm

there are several on EBAY such as the following

I'm so confused! 2e_1_b
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/28/2010, 9:28 pm

Orange Soda looks like a Marlboro red
Freckles maybe Pigeon blood, just has lots of peppering
Scarface & Blue - blue diamonds
Tiger maybe a cross between a Butterfly Snowflake/Blue Turquiose could be one of them they are calling "baby blue panda"
Zorro think is a blue turquiose
Tiny Tim looks like he wanted to be a Ring Leopard as he has somewhat of a circular design to his pattern, but the stripes say he's something else maybe another cross of some sort

Best gestimates - When I had discus they Snowflake Butterfly, Blue Diamonds, Blue Turquiose, Ring Leopards (someday I will own some of these again), Marlboro Red and I can't think of the official name right this second but they had white faces red bodies.

Not to good at keeping up on the continuously changing color names around UGH like angels there some new ones what the heck happened there definitely missed something.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/29/2010, 3:30 am

This is one of the best sites on understanding the differant strains.
http://www.discusnada.org/discus/classification.html
This is also great.
http://www.pds.ph/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=859
to sum it up
thick line ex. turquoise
thin line ex. Snake skin
spotted ex. Leopard
pattern ex. Checkboard pigeon
solid ex. Blue dimond
those are the basics. Then you have colors. Base color. And secondary color that's the color of the pattern, lines, or spots.

My guess on your fish is
1. Brilliant blue
2. Pigeon blood (extra pepper)
3. Pigeon of some kind. The black in the tail is a dead give away that's got pigeon in it.
4. Blue diamond
5. Red turquoise
6. Classic leopard
7. Blue diamond

check out thoes sites they are the best I have found.

solids

Back to top Go down

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/29/2010, 9:05 am

That 2nd link was very very helpful!!

Sounds like I cant be quite sure on what they are till they are all full grown? They still have colors and patterns showing up..... Scarface and Blue are the only 2 who seem done coloring.....
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/29/2010, 10:49 am

You can pretty much tell what they are now.
you have a
Brilliant blue Aka Blue turquoise. The brilliants tend to have thicker lines like yours.

Pigeon blood (extra pepper), 2 Blue diamond , Red turquoise, Classic leopard not the best grade, Are what the others are I'm sure of it.

Orange soda is hard to put a label on right now. Yes as they mature the colors can change a little they can lose of gain patterns.

Breeders come up with names all the time.
Back to top Go down

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/29/2010, 6:00 pm

Thank you very much for all of the help!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime10/29/2010, 11:32 pm

I must say Fern Zorro is sweet looking discus....reminds me of a painting in which the eyes follow you where ever you move...
Back to top Go down
Marlboro Red
Private
Private
Marlboro Red

Favorite Fish: : marlboro red discus followed by lepord wrasse

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:21 am

i am posting a link to a guy who is the godfather of discus in my book and if i am in the wrong here please let me know he is the reason that the stendker discus strain is available in the usa now for a decent price.

http://discus-hans-usa.com/
if you havequestion and can get him to mail you back he is very knowledgeable but is also extremely busy
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:25 am

got to love kids..there truthfully not like must adults..this I know i also have kids..love the discuss Jill nice colors. I'm so confused! 393849
Back to top Go down

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:45 am

I will defiantly look at the link!
I do see a drive over to Jack Wattleys place in my near future...... But I would defiantly have to give myself an allowance and leave the rest of my money at home $$$
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:51 am

They're gorgeous, Fern! Keep us updated with pics as they grow. I tried to pick a favorite but I just can't. Lol
Back to top Go down

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:51 am

very helpful link!!! The growth pics are really cool!
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:58 am

let me know jill I personaly know the person who runs the hatchery.
Back to top Go down

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 10:01 am

Jeep, I will defiantly be taking frequent pictures of them I'm so confused! 393849
Back to top Go down

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 10:02 am

Really jaiko?!?!?!?!?
I will defiantly let you know when I have the time and money!!!!!!!!!!

Yup I defiantly got bit by the discus bug...... crazy
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 10:26 am

yeap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm so confused! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so confused!   I'm so confused! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm so confused!
Page 1 of 1