UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Discus breeding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/10/2010, 6:22 pm

So how old or how large do they have to be before they start pairing and breeding?
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/10/2010, 8:25 pm

about a year,males tend to take a little longer sometimes.

sounds like you have discus fever. its ok though, my daughter has beber fever.
Back to top Go down

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/10/2010, 8:29 pm

I've never had discus breed but have heard like Alan said 1 year or about 4 to 5"
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/10/2010, 8:33 pm

mine are at 4 right now, i heard or read somewhere that they stop growing when there in breeding mode. idk
Back to top Go down

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 7:24 am

Well I have one that is 5-6" and 4 that are 4-5".
Just wondering on size because they seem to be cleaning off leaves. Haven't seen any pairs forming yet, but I have been out of town for a week so I'm still watching them to see if pairs have formed.

Ya a little bit, I have them so I can see them from the computer and they have great personality!
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 8:32 am

When I had a few pairs they were a year old +, the one pair was huge the others were the 5" plus size.

Some of the "monthly breeding disucs flyers" say that is the size when they start pairing off, so they should start showing some behavior IDK after that. Have had great luck with some, others not worth a darn!!

The ones I had were 1st & 2nd gen domestic from imports (long story), some of them were machines they'd spawn like clockwork.
Back to top Go down

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 8:45 am

The more I watch them the more I think its close to that time, the big guys eyes are bright red and hes chasing others away from the giant hygro plant. Cant tell if he (Tiger) has paired yet or not.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 7:03 pm

Mine are 4" but might be stunted. The female has big eyes and they don't seem to be growing much but the others are. My pair would hang out together shimmy at eachother and would stays to a corner by them self. They never are aggressive just only have eyes for eachother. Some strains mature faster then others so I have been told. 18 months to a year is about right but young fish are not good parents. They might eat the eggs or the male might do his job right.

If you really want to breed these fish it is best to get a proven adults pair. That way you know what they look like. You can see if they have good shape and color. Keep the pair alone in bare tank with only a heater and large sponge filter. 20 gal 30 gal it does not need to big. Read up on how to raise the fry because getting them to spawn in the easy part.

Next year I think after raise a few of my angle fish spawns I will buy a breeding pair of discus none of mine are breeding quality. I would want the best fish I could fine to breed.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/11/2010, 10:29 pm

sounds like they already spawned.
Back to top Go down

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/12/2010, 8:43 am

They very well could have spawned while I was on vacation.

I don't have the kind of money it takes to get a proven pair...... I will see what I get with these guys I have.
I did get to see a pair defending wigglers in a main tank when I got these guys.....

I may see if I can find 1-2 larger females, from the looks of things I am male heavy in there......
Back to top Go down

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/12/2010, 9:08 am

Now Tiger is displaying at everyone, head pointed up some fins extended and vibrant color. He is letting the others taste his sides, I'm guessing the feeding slime?
Whatever is going on its neat to watch!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/12/2010, 9:44 pm

I have my fingers crossed for ya...hope to see some little ones poking out soon fish bowl
Back to top Go down

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 8:49 pm

Spoke to the guy I got them from and he said that most of them are probably old enough.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 8:54 pm

cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Discus breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus breeding   Discus breeding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discus breeding
Page 1 of 1