UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Planning to start Breeding Discus

Go down 
+4
fishface30
Shea
Jd.
dnphillips08
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

Favorite Fish: : Discus

Planning to start Breeding Discus Empty
PostSubject: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/7/2011, 5:34 pm

Upon my return to Virginia on the 12th of this month, I am planning on taking the jump into breeding my discus. My wife has hesitantly agreed with the plot, so now its time for research and budgeting to figure out. Thanks to my buddy JD, my discus will survive my trip. So if anybody has any advice on the equipment I may need to start this adventure, please chime in. So far I have my 75 gal (discus community) and 2 20 gal longs. I'm not sure if the 20G are large enough to do much with. I already know I'll need filters (not sure which kind), heaters, and most likely a tub to age water. This far into it I have no desire to focus on color strains or anything of that sort, would kind of just like to get my feet wet to start. Thoughts or ideas?
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

Favorite Fish: : I dont knows ????

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/7/2011, 7:46 pm

When is your wife planning on getting back if you are getting back on the 12th ?

I have a few extra tanks too not sure if you will want them , trying to free up more every day haha.
Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/7/2011, 9:08 pm

Good luck, I cannot give any advice. The discus I had were all lesbians.
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/8/2011, 2:29 pm

Shea wrote:
lol! That's hilarious!

JD- I'll let you know if I need any, at the moment my small apartment is a wreck as it is and I have to figure out a space efficient plan because my wife doesn't want tanks everywhere. We are going to start looking for a house though and if I can find one with 3+ bedrooms, I will get a room all to myself for my breeding adventure! She will be coming about five weeks from when I get back, not terribly sure exactly when.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/8/2011, 11:04 pm

Shea wrote:

LOL that's a good one
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 12:42 am

Just want to wish you good luck and make sure post some pics and keep us updated! Planning to start Breeding Discus 772341 usafishbox
Back to top Go down
flukekiller
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 7:14 am

do some research online... there is plenty of info .there are many different ways to
do this. basically u need to find out what works for you and your fish.

the 20 gallon long will be fine to raise the fry until they reach quarter to 50 cent piece.

most people use sponge filters in the fry tanks... decap brine shrimp for food.

i used decap brine shrimp in the beginning then used my own beef heart mix...

many people will disagree with me but i also used black worms... man do they love em.

water changes everyday on the fry tanks. its been a long while since i have had discus

dont get upset over unfertilized eggs, there is a possibility that you could have 2

females(if they are not a proven pair)or the male could be too young and not know

how to aim ...hahaha but true.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 7:16 am

I love Discus. We have a lot of Discus people on here so feel free to ask questions.
Back to top Go down
mastersdiscus
Private
Private
mastersdiscus

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 9:39 am

you are welcome to make a trip up to my area and see what I am doing. Just the other side of Richmond. All I keep are discus. I have about 200 on hand. Large to small.
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 6:55 pm

Sounds awesome! I'll call here in a minute and see what time is good for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning to start Breeding Discus   Planning to start Breeding Discus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Planning to start Breeding Discus
Page 1 of 1