UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks! Empty
PostSubject: Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks!   Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks! Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 12:27 pm

Ok, I'm the type that likes to have some type of aquatic plant in every aquarium to help with water quality.

Malawi tank: After sinking 5 yogurt containers with soil in the corner of my 55G Malawi tank - I've been doing some experimentation with different varieties of aquatic plants in order to see how long they could survive. The cichlids have been more than pleased in assisting me with this experimentation. Don't have to mention that most plants haven't lasted long.

Wasn't intending to, but I've ended up experimenting with different species in my 55G planted barb tank. Did I mention that I have bala sharks in this tank? Turns out my balas are almost as bad as Silver Dollars. All the grasses - YUM! Anything tender - Yum, YUM! Did find that Amazon swords and related types can survive their attention.

But I've found one genus that survives them all! I went to my mint garden which has a frog/guppy pond in the center and took cuttings of all the mints that had gone aquatic in the pond. Since these varieties have shown that they can grow in both terrestrial and aquatic settings, as well as handling the lower lighting of a windowsill through the winter several years ago - I felt they were excellent candidates for the next round of tests. (and they were free...)

So far they've been in the tanks for 2 weeks and counting. Growing well under the grow lights and not being nibbled much by either the Cichlids or the Bala Sharks. I know these mints are invasive - which is pretty much the only drawback in the planted tank since they aren't in containers. (though I can pull them out and put them in containers if need be). Figure if they get beyond my and the Bala's control - I'll go to plan B and add a Silver Dollar or two to the tank.

Side effect: Now there's a faint hint of orangy-chocolatey-minty freshness radiating from my tanks. Did check on the effects of menthol on fish - it's a beneficial anti-microbial effect. Though don't tell that to my dominant blue Malawi - who is still glaring disgustedly at me since he thought I only put 'snack plants' in HIS tank lol!
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks!   Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks! Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 9:04 pm

cool so can i just drop some mint plants in or do they have to slowly be changed to aquatic life
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks!   Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks! Icon_minitime9/19/2010, 6:52 am

If you're not pulling them out of an aquatic environment - I would start their adaptation in a little tank with filtration first. There might be some rotting as they adapt. Also, pick all the leaves off except for the growing tips. This will help the plant to adapt to lower light levels. The older leaves will generally shed due to changing light anyways. You want to limit what can rot.

Might add a small fish or two to that tank.

It shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks to see if your mint variety can adjust to aquatic. I chose more of the small leafed varieties - orange mint, chocolate mint, water mint, spearmint. Stay away from larger leafed and wooly types. You'll know it's doing well when it doubles in size and roots out. Then just take cuttings from the aquatic-adjusted plants and put them in your tanks.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks!   Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks! Icon_minitime9/19/2010, 8:15 am

ok thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks!   Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plant that survives Malawi's AND Bala sharks!
Page 1 of 1