UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

overated siamese algae eaters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

overated siamese algae eaters Empty
PostSubject: overated siamese algae eaters   overated siamese algae eaters Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 12:09 am

I have 4 siamese algae eaters and they are cool fish and they grew very fast and will graze on my hands when im vacuuming the aquarium. Everywhere you read says they are one of the best if not the best algae eating fish. Mine however i never see eating algae at all only thing i ever see them eat is the food i feed my other fish or the cucumber i put in there every so often. In fact my chinese algae eater eats way more algae then they do though hes a pain every now and then.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: overated siamese algae eaters   overated siamese algae eaters Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 6:30 am

How big is he??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: overated siamese algae eaters   overated siamese algae eaters Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 9:01 am

If you want a fish that will always eat algae and prefers it over any thing else you need to get a rubber lip pleco, they stay small and are very docile.

Most 'algae eaters' will eat other food if they can, they just get lazy over time.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: overated siamese algae eaters   overated siamese algae eaters Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 1:00 pm

istrober wrote:
How big is he??
4 inches now
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: overated siamese algae eaters   overated siamese algae eaters Icon_minitime9/19/2010, 12:11 pm

You might not have a true SAE then. There are 2 other fish that look just like them but are awful when it comes to cleaning. I had a Flying fox very cool but did not get the job done. They look like a more colorful SAE same size and shape. Then there is the False SAE that look almost exactly the same at the true but the line does not got in the the tail.

Here is some great info. With photos on these fish.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/saes.htm

The true sae are not easy to find and are a bit rare compared to the flying fox.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: overated siamese algae eaters   overated siamese algae eaters Icon_minitime9/19/2010, 1:07 pm

snowflake311 wrote:
You might not have a true SAE then. There are 2 other fish that look just like them but are awful when it comes to cleaning. I had a Flying fox very cool but did not get the job done. They look like a more colorful SAE same size and shape. Then there is the False SAE that look almost exactly the same at the true but the line does not got in the the tail.

Here is some great info. With photos on these fish.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/saes.htm

The true sae are not easy to find and are a bit rare compared to the flying fox.
I got them online from live aquaria the line does go all the way to the end of the tail I had one jump out of the aquarium onto the floor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: overated siamese algae eaters   overated siamese algae eaters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

overated siamese algae eaters
Page 1 of 1