UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

brown algae

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 10:02 pm

as some of you know my fishroom is ran off a sump system i have about 8 tanks running off 2 sumps connected together running thru a uv sterilizer then returned to the tanks... the problem i having is just 1 tank is getting brown algae spots i keep brushing the tank and it returns can someone tell me how to get rid of this problem and is it bad for the fish... i have blue socolofi in that tank with crushed coral also can this be a problem of why they arent doing the fishy dance and producing for me she has held successfully once before in this tank but without the algae problem
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 10:06 pm

Diatoms. Normal. Just keep brushing them off. They will eventually eat themselves out of existance.
Back to top Go down

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 10:12 pm

I usually just brush off enough I can see in the tank. The quicker it grows the quicker it will kill it's self off. It will cause no harm to your fish. If you want you can balance the nutrients by adding floating plants or potted plants to use the nutrients that the algae grow on. Is it a tank closer to any light source? restrict some of the light if it is.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 10:18 pm

will do
and thank you for the input
you guys are awesome
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 12:22 am

A tank that wont grow algae is not a healthy tank. Chill homie, they will get jiggy sooner or later. lol!
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 12:23 am

go to chat
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 9:01 am

Chinese algae eaters do a wonderful job. Since I've put a couple in my 55G tropical tank - there's been no algae to scrape.

I only have diatom issues in my Malawi tank. The cichlids do enjoy nibbling at the stuff so I may not scrape/disinfect the rocks anymore, and I slow it down by taking the light strip off the top and putting it in a chair a few feet away when I'm not going to be there for a while. When I do have a student clean the tanks with a scrubber sponge (We bleach the sponge in between tanks so as not to spread anything) - I'll turn the UV on as well as add a little algaecide. It's usually several weeks before I see it again.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 9:26 am

I used to have that problem a few months ago, and also figured out that water flow is important here.., after i changed the canister filter for a stronger one, there was a lot more flow on the tank.. and since i did it i haven't got any more diatom problems in my tank.. just make sure you have good water flow just another tip i learned.. brown algae 393849
Back to top Go down

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 11:01 am

Completely harmless. All the advice given is good. I wouldn't add fish to breeder tanks though.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 11:02 am

i wasnt going to fern im just gonna keep scrapping it off and do a complete substrate change to sand
Back to top Go down

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 1:20 pm

why change an established substrate?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

brown algae Empty
PostSubject: Re: brown algae   brown algae Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

brown algae
Page 1 of 1