UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

roughed up firemouth

Go down 
+2
MarkM
wblueus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

roughed up firemouth Empty
PostSubject: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 5:48 pm

I only have 1 female firemouth to 4 males and they are a little rough on her I did seperate her a few days ago. Ive been looking to get more females but im having trouble finding them anywhere so i was wondering if i were to add some different fish to the aquarium if that would help with them being aggressive towards her? And if so whats the best tankmate?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:19 pm

Yes dither fish would help. Not sure on who would work though.
The basics for figuring out a good dither fish is; matching parameters, has to be fast and able to take/escape a beating and have size enough not to be killed.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/14/2010, 8:22 pm

Giant danios usually make good dithers. Fast, tough and hardy.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 9:51 pm

it lest you have your female mines a pink convict destroyed her cry
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 10:45 pm

Giant danios...tin foil barbs might actually get bigger than your firemouths......put plenty of hiding places in the tank or put a divider in there till you get some more females....if you just want basic try a company like petco...free shipping atm (or last time i checked)
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 6:35 am

i had firemouth before, i wouldnt keep more than one male on the tank, they are too territorial and aggressive, imagine that he used to fight against a 12" pacu i used to have lol, ill get more fem and leave only one male or 2..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 9:04 am

MarkM wrote:
Giant danios usually make good dithers. Fast, tough and hardy.
roughed up firemouth 858205
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 9:15 am

I keep my Giant Danios with my African Cichlids!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 9:22 am

I use tiger barbs as the dithers for my 2 ruby greens, they work well. But ruby greens are docile compared to firemouths so giant danios would be your best bet.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 9:28 am

My Giant Danios actually get into fights with my Africans! star wars
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 11:21 am

Ive had giant danios before there ok i get nervous when vacuuming the aquarium with them though as they like to try and jump out
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: roughed up firemouth   roughed up firemouth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

roughed up firemouth
Page 1 of 1