UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Shipping Corydoras?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jetajockey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Shipping Corydoras? Empty
PostSubject: Shipping Corydoras?   Shipping Corydoras? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 4:04 am

Anyone have any experience shipping corys? I had some sent overnight and still managed to have 2 DOAs, so I'm concerned about shipping/packing procedure. The person that sent them did what appeared to be a good job packing, insulated styro container, breather bags tinged with a little meth blue.

I'm wondering if breather bags are possibly a bad idea for these guys since they can't surface for air, not to mention spines + breather bags = bad idea.

The other shipment that this person sent out (adolfois) to another person around the same time and it went priority mail 3 day and they lost an entire colony of 8, save 1.

I've read that some catfish have the ability to release a toxin when frightened or stressed, and they can end up poisoning themselves, just wondering if anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Corydoras?   Shipping Corydoras? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 7:01 am

I use thick bags and 2x dose of prime and 1/2 dose of stress coat. Starve for 3-4 days. Double bag. 1/3 water and 2/3 pure O2. I have shipped them flat rate with much success that way.

Personally I hate breather bags, I have gotten too many fish that have popped the inner bag and gotten tangled up in it and died. They are just way too thin.

Yes some corys release toxins when stressed, I know sterbis do.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Corydoras?   Shipping Corydoras? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 7:10 am

Good point... Shipping Corydoras? 393849
Back to top Go down
jetajockey
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Corydoras?   Shipping Corydoras? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 12:56 pm

Thanks Fern :)
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Corydoras?   Shipping Corydoras? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 1:13 pm

great information... gonna try that next time...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Corydoras?   Shipping Corydoras? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 6:54 pm

If you can get poly filter cloth cut off a little bit and put it in the bag with them, it will suck up all the ammonia and what not.
Bronzes I would do 2-3 per bag but anything else I would do one per bag, that way if one does die it wont wipe out its bag mates.

Younger corys seem to ship better than old breeders. I tried to ship a friend my albino breeders (4 years old or more) and they all went belly up in the bag, put em back in the tank and they were fine, tried again... same thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shipping Corydoras?   Shipping Corydoras? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shipping Corydoras?
Page 1 of 1