UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

anubias leaves turning yellow why?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

anubias leaves turning yellow why? Empty
PostSubject: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 11:25 pm

I have had several anubias plants and all the leaves evenually turn yellow. Now im told to keep them away from bright lights i keep them in only about 0.5 to 1.0 watts per gallon and I use flourish fert every week but still the leaves will turn yellow over time and I end up with nothing but really nice strong roots and no leaves can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? PH 7.8 temp 79
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 4:41 am

How long do you keep your lights on? I would decrease the lighting slowly to about 8 hours a day. you can do split lighting of 4 in morning and 4 in evening, A timer is a lifesaver when it comes to plants and lighting.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 6:51 am

FishVixen wrote:
How long do you keep your lights on? I would decrease the lighting slowly to about 8 hours a day. you can do split lighting of 4 in morning and 4 in evening, A timer is a lifesaver when it comes to plants and lighting.
I keep the lights on around 9 -10 hrs a day. I have never used timers before. how would split lighting help them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:02 am

Start using flourish iron till they green back up.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:05 am

Fern wrote:
Start using flourish iron till they green back up.
How much more iron does flourish iron have then reg flourish does?
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:14 am

If you have too many plants on it it means that they are not getting sufficient nutrients from fish waste/food alone, so you should add some ferts, good luck!
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:26 am

I second the iron addition. If the leaves are turning yellow its usually an iron deficiency.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 8:06 am

Good point Terry! anubias leaves turning yellow why? 393849
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 5:01 pm

Not too sure, but its just iron, its one of those nutrients that plants get low on so they sell it as a separate product so you can easily correct the issue.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 12:47 am

I will kindly just say I disagree and think you have you need potassium .

Iron - is Required for photosynthesis, component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions.

as to where

Potassium - is for Protein synthesis, water and charge balance, enzyme activation.

my anubias also where going yellow on some of the leaves using potassium got them back in to shape.

is flourish all you use for dosing? flourish just has the micros if that is the case. then dosing marcos of n,p,and k will help you a lot. also I would go with a little more lighting too. anubias can also adapt to lighting, I have 39x2 t5 ho lighting single bulb reflectors (high lighting) and the anubias don't seem to mind it. the trick to having low light plants in a high light tank.. is to keep the low light plants in the shape where you can have them shaded by high light plants.

the high light plants will still get there lighting and the low light plants will still get light but just not as much as the high light plants...

Potassium - Protein synthesis, water and charge balance, enzyme activation.
Boron - Chlorophyll production, flowering, root growth, cell function.
Carbon - Required for all organic compounds.
Calcium - Cell wall stability and permeability, enz...yme activation, cell response to stimuli.
Chlorine - Water and charge balance, photosynthesis.
Copper - Component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions that take place during photosynthesis.
Iron - Required for photosynthesis, component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions.
Magnesium - Component of chlorophyll, enzyme activation.
Manganese - Formation of amino acids, enzyme activation.
Molybdenum and Cobalt - Required for nitrate reduction.
Nickel - Enzyme activation, processing of nitrogenous material.
Sulfur - Component of proteins and the coenzymes that are involved with nutrient utilization and growth.
Zinc - Chlorophyll production, enzyme activation.
Note that Oxygen and Hydrogen are also required, but are available at all times through water
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 9:47 am

Plant, thats very good info! Could you possibly do a write up on all of the hows and whys of plant fertz in the library?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 9:57 am

nice write up plant.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 10:06 am

anubias leaves turning yellow why? 858205
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 9:10 pm

Thanks, I can do a write up. how do you want me to do it for the library?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime11/16/2010, 8:56 am

Same as you did just a little more in depth if possible. And what the different signs are for the different deficiency.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anubias leaves turning yellow why?   anubias leaves turning yellow why? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

anubias leaves turning yellow why?
Page 1 of 1