UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Puffers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, African Cichlids

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 10:03 am

Whats the water perimeters that you guys keep your puffers at?

My mother has a 10 gallon tank with some puffers, and she keeps loosing them. I personally think its where she bought the puffers that is the problem, I have always had fish die with in weeks of getting them from that place (i think they inject the fish with growth horomones, havnt proved it yet though).

Right now her PH is at 7.8
Salinity: 2.6
Water Temp: 77
Nitrates and Ammonia are 0 (just checked like an hour ago)

Any tips would be great ; )
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 1:04 pm

bump sign
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 2:06 pm

What type of puffers are they and have you asked the retailer what salinity they're keeping them at? Do you drip them into the tank and if so over how long a period?
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 3:44 pm

They are my mothers, I do not know how she acclimated them. I also have no clue what breed they are. The retailer she bought them from, are pathetic, my little cousin knows more about how to keep fish then they do. ; )
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 3:45 pm

So it would not surprise me if they didn't have any salinity in their tanks at all.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 3:53 pm

Are they the little tiny dwarf puffers? These guys are pretty distinct because they top out a little over an inch. I have yet to see a place that keeps them in brackish and have never found anything definitive stating they needed it. I've always kept my dwarfs in full fresh and they've done great. How long do they generally live after she gets them? Now, if they're green spots or figure 8's you definately want to find out how the store is keeping them. Some start them in fresh other's go straight to brackish. It probably depends on the supplier's conditions as these species can both migrate between the two. The only other species I've ever seen for sale(other than the true cut and dried saltwater species) was a "neon green puffer". It was a gorgeous fish but I never did get a positive i.d. on it's species or care requirements. I brought it home and kept it in freshwater. It did great for about a year then crashed fast so my guess it that it was another migratory species. Does you mom by any chance have a picture of one or could she google search and try to find on similar?
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 4:47 pm

They have green spots.

Puffers Puffer10

Like the one in that pic.
My mother is computer illiterate so that doesnt help lol

She has lost 4 so far, generally they died 1-2 weeks after she bought them. I found a local breeder and got two more for her, they are kept in 2-3.5 PPT which is what we are keeping them at now, and they are doing fine.

I'm just figuring that it was the place she was originally buying them from. No matter who I talk to, they always have problems buying fish from that place, they just up and die. So it might be that retailer, I told my mother to stay away from them and stick to our regular LFS or recommended breeders.
Back to top Go down

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 4:51 pm

sticking with a place you can trust is always your best bet.
Back to top Go down
surfpalmsncycads
Private First Class
Private First Class
surfpalmsncycads

Favorite Fish: : festae, dovii, grammodes, salivini, mana, mota, freddi loisel.............

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/18/2010, 10:03 am

had trouble a when i started a puffer tank. added a powerhead with bubbler attatchment and doubled my salt since they are brackish..... living great
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/18/2010, 11:33 am

wow i always liked the puffers tho, Good pic btw legion!! Puffers 393849
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/18/2010, 12:53 pm

throw some salt all up in that tank!!! as they mature puffers NEED to be introduced more and more to saltyer waters! a full grown adult puffer is pretty much a SW fish when ist fully grown
another thing about GSP (green spotted puffers) is that they are really aggressive towards others even their own kind. that can prolly be another reason why theyre dying. every time i see em in the LFS theyre fins are torn they have bite marks all over em and they get sick pretty quick ( at least thats what iv heard) so its kinda best to get them a BIGGER tank! or to get rid of a cpl! the less of them in that lil 10g the less agressivness
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Puffers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffers   Puffers Icon_minitime8/18/2010, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the tips!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puffers Empty