UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Catfish issues

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 6:28 am

Hey people, i got home last night, and i figure my catfish started going crazy, swimming up and down non-stop, going all the way to the surface and doing quick movements, he almost jumps out of the tank!, i woke up this morning, and he still doing it it, i dont know if he is so stress out but idk why, my water is good conditions, every othe fish is acting fine... any advice will be nice!
Back to top Go down

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 9:17 am

Any stray electrical current?
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 10:15 am

mmm dont know.. its weird that only the catfish its been acting like that..
Back to top Go down

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 10:23 am

electricity hits cats a whole lot harder than other fish....
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 10:29 am

I agree with Fern. Check for electrical leaks. Many catfish are "scale-less" and more sensitive to such issues. That was my first thought when I read the post, but Fern beat me to the reply.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 10:43 am

maybe bad heater??? is the only thing with electricity there, it was an used one i got from boardrooms..
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 10:51 am

Take it out to see how he reacts.

What do you have for filtration? Any powerheads or internal pumps could be causing a leak as well.

If it's the heater, discard it. Chances are, it will end up malfunctioning at some point if it is leaking electricity.

Check for any cords that drape over the tank. If they come in contact with water, they could be the culprits.

Best thing to do is check all electrical devices on or in the tank to rule everything out. While the cat may be the only one exhibiting odd behavior from it, they are all getting some dose of it, and it could turn fatal for one or all.

Last edited by unknown on 8/11/2010, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 10:54 am

i have a canister filter, Fluval 404
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 11:27 am

Your filter is not likely the problem.

I'd start with the heater. Unplug it and pull it out and watch the cat for a while.

If it isn't an electrical leak causing his behavior, I'm at a loss. That's the only time I've seen this type of behavior.

Any submersible equipment is subject to such a leak at some point, even if only used on one tank that has never been moved. I've also had a hood/light combo leak electricity into a tank when the cord rested on a wet tank edge. Found a hair-line crack in the cord insulation that sent electricity into the water.

Best of luck!!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 12:04 pm

Thank!! i'll try that when i get home, i hope he still alive tho.. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 12:22 pm

plenty of aeration? seems like he's stressing out over something...

if it's something involving electric and it lasted this long, im pretty sure the whole tank wouldve been long dead.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 12:36 pm

well i woke up this morning and all the fish looked fine but him..
Back to top Go down
calihawk
Private First Class
Private First Class
calihawk

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 2:45 pm

Aha I had a bullface catfish I caught at the local park. He ate food like it was air...er water, lol. Anyways he got all his little whiskers bitten off mostly by my OB (which just died today) but yeah they go NUTS! the Catfish sometimes swims around and chases other fishes and swims up and down and up and down against the glass. I would say that its normal but they are very very dirty fishes. Crazy fish
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Catfish issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catfish issues   Catfish issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Catfish issues
Page 1 of 1