UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Empty
PostSubject: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 6:09 pm

did a small water change on one aquarium yesterday and now my fish are back to swimming at the top gasping for air , it did this on my last water change about 2 or 3 weeks ago. i am wondering if anyone else here in tucson has been having issues lately
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 7:23 pm

That is very strange... how large of a change did you do?
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 7:25 pm

today was about 15-20 gallons in a 125 gallon aquarium, would a small increase in nitrates from the tap water cause this? i had ordered a large bottle of api tap water conditioner, but didn't realize it did not remove nitrates. this is the only change from water changes before this.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 7:36 pm

Normally gasping is an issue with the oxygen in the water.

A few things I could think of are...

1. If chlorine in the water killed off bacteria the death would spike CO2 and deplete oxygen. Since you mention water conditioner I highly doubt that.

2. The temp of the water going in is too high and carries less oxygen. If you do you water change and just about match temps that should cross this off the list.

3. Some people report that their tap water in the afternoon is very low in O2. Depending on the time of the change it would be worth trying an AM water change.

4. Surface aggregation. If the water is low in O2 you may need to stir up the top of the water if you're not already to increase O2 in the water.
Some water is just low in dissolved O2 levels especially if it is very hot outside. The only real way to solve this would be to increase surface aggregation in the tank after adding the water OR to have a bubbler running in a water holding container to allow the oxygen levels to normalize before adding it.
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 7:59 pm

the water comes out around 76 degrees here, so its not much lower then what i keep the tanks at. i have three twelve inch air stones going pluse the surface has a but load of agitation. this problem has started occuring the last two water changes, never occured in the three years this tank has been running before that with the same set up.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:08 pm

You said you recently switched your water conditioner?

I mean when nothing else changes you really have to look to the small things.
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:11 pm

didn't realize that the one i ordered didn't have something to remove nitrates in the tap water.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:18 pm

Wouldn't think nitrates would matter. I mean the water change is done to lower them anyways.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:22 pm

perhaps you can call the water company and find out if there was something they changed in their water treatment. I had this happen to me a few water changes ago and lost a fish, now I just let my water sit for a longer period of time. Maybe they changed up their process that you don't know about.
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:26 pm

i went online and looked at what they say the water is coming out of the tap as, between 7.4 and 8.0 ph temp of 76.3 1.8ppm on nitrates, .95ppm chlorine that is the latest update for this area.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:38 pm

did you happen to rinse out your filter as well? It sounds like a dissolved gas issue, even though it's only what, a 10-15% water change? I'm stumped as much as you are.
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 9:13 pm

rinsed off removable parts
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 10:20 pm

Sometimes the rinsing in conjunction with a water change would trigger the dip is gas levels. That's what happened to my tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes    anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

anyone else in tucson having issues during water changes
Page 1 of 1