UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

how do i get rid of this algea!!!!

Go down 
+3
CSnyder00
vman
pillierox1
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Empty
PostSubject: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 10:38 am

well i got so much algea on my sand in my 20 gallon i dont know how to kill it. ive attacked it with my syphone thing, i hav tons of snails, im at the resort of taking one of my horse faced loach to clean should i do that? theyr my best cleaners, i only hav a betta in there.

how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Fish_310

how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Fish_311

oh sorry for the bad spelling somehow my cat made this website and only this website to become such a small text i should get reading glasses to read it, ugh and ive tried to fix it but i dont know how never had this happen, do anyone know how to fix that too, lol!
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 10:49 am

Last edited by vman on 11/26/2010, 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 10:51 am

Move some more plants into that tank, you have an over abundance of light and nutrients. Move 4-5 stem plants to start and give it like 2 weeks if you see a reduction in the algae you should be close to the right # of plants. If you see no difference in the algae at that point move more plants over. Algae issues are pretty easy to fix with just plants.

try going to view and zoom, see if you can zoom in the page?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 10:53 am

Decrease the amount of time you have the lighting on, add more live plants and nerite snails. Works every time for me.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 10:57 am

no i cant zoom in ugh i may shut down the pc and go from there but ill add plants i thought of doin that just never thought it would be a big benefit ill move some of the plants the my loaches didnt like where i put it at in my 55 since i dont hav any room left besides where i put them at lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 10:58 am

Any of the snails I added with your plants will help with the algae, and the betta will eat the little ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 10:59 am

Yes plants use the same nutrients algae does, once you find the balance of light, plants, nutrients the algae should go away almost completely!
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 11:04 am

lol ya i did hav a huge amount of snails but now my betta is been feasting on them so less snail thank god tho it was infested with them, i added 3 more plants to see if that helps but if not ill add more. i do hav a huge plant in there its got to be 6" wide to almost top of the tank, its huge. i got it for only 6 bucks too lol great deal for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 11:05 am

If only more people in this hobby knew the benefits of a balanced planted tank.

Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 11:11 am

ya my 55 never had any problems but but i did hav a few plants in it, my 20 always had the big plant in it for as long as its been set up and now the algea just bloomed, so i was a bit confused on it but next time ill hav plenty of plants in any tanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 11:30 am

Confused in this hobby? who me? never! Yeah right. lol!
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 11:32 am

lol naw not u lol!, but i do!!! ive only been doing close to a yr now lol. well wenever we get a tax return is wen i started to do it lol!. ive shute down the computer 3 times and still the same ugh maybe ill use explorar for this site now which i hate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 11:48 am

lol! this hobby always throws curve balls at you... just when you think you have a good idea of what your doing... you find some other wealth of knowledge and the learning begins anew!

Clear your cookies and browser history... it cant hurt?
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 11:54 am

ya i even tried that, its just going to be annoying but ill get used it , but by the time i do get used it, it goes back to normal lol! it happens to me all the time
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 11:59 am

Computer are like fish you never know what the next min. will be like. lol!
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 12:31 pm

lol! very tru but the computer is falling apart tho so im not goint to be surprised if we hav to get a new one
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 12:32 pm

How long have you had the computer?
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 12:35 pm

a yr or 2 maybe its a low end pc from walmart
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 4:04 pm

Check your phosphate levels, I'm betting they are high. Algae need excess phosphate for rapid growth.

If your phosphate is elevated there are three solutions, and they can be used at the same time.

1. Pond biological clarifier. These bacteria require a lot of phosphate for growth. As they grow and multiply, the phosphate levels will plummet.

2. Aquatic moss. Also a heavy phosphate absorber.

3. Use distilled water for water changes. Chances are that your tap water is phosphate rich (fertilizer run-off). By continually diluting it week after week - it will drop to a level that can't support algae.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 4:11 pm

i use filtered water for my tanks i dont use tap water after it killed one of my bettas so i use prime with filtered water and all my tests read normal range. i did hav my heater going 86 bc of my balloon molly having ich and that wen i had my algea bloom.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 4:14 pm

my ph is 7.2
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 4:30 pm

Most home filters can't do much for reducing phosphate, and I've tested some 'filtered' store bought water that had phosphates (was from a municipal source). The only water that I've consistantly never detected phosphates in was distilled.

Most test kits don't test for phosphate. They are generally a separate kit for marine tanks. Even the API freshwater master doesn't have it. So you might recheck what your kit is able to detect. Most just test for: Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Hardness, Alkalinity, pH, Chlorine.

The higher temperature was also a factor, but algae must have phosphate to grow - plain and simple. Phosphates normally come in the water source, but they can also come from feed and medications.

My 29T originally had a 'green water' issue. (Used tank, and it was pretty green when I broke it down years ago). Initially I used some algaecides to bring it under control. Now I keep from ever being a problem again through the use of pond bacteria, aquatic moss and distilled water for changes. Low phosphates - low algae numbers.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 8:28 pm

Algae can also be a problem if your nitrate levels are high as well, correct?
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 8:47 pm

my levels r at 0.5 at nitrate and 0 on nitrite and 0 on ammonia my ph 7.2, um my nitrate is the only thing thats reading a bit high
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 8:49 pm

Nitrates aren't your issue then. I would say it's your phosphates. I sometimes notice when my Nitrates get above 20 ppm or so I'll get some algae growth, but that can be solved through water changes. Looks like you've got a different problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do i get rid of this algea!!!!   how do i get rid of this algea!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how do i get rid of this algea!!!!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next