UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Budgeting your hobby

Go down 
+8
redfishray1968
pillierox1
VAMPY
KMX
sfagrad
2SciCrazed
BFinley
Holey Rock of Texas
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Budgeting your hobby Empty
PostSubject: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 12:50 pm

Aquariums can get expensive if you are new and do not know how to budget. This is from my experience in the past year restarting the hobby. I try to stay away from the BOX stores unless I see a great sale or an emergency. Check Craigslist in your area for larger equipment. Many people moving or just lost interest need to get rid of equipment fast. I bought a 55, 20,10, 10 fully equiped with 3 huge boxes of "junk" (Whisper 60, Aqua Clear, 3 double air pumps and tons of food unopened) Everything was brand new still seal wrapped in their boxes. The guys brother put the stuff in his garage and he just wanted it gone. Gave him $50 and he gave me everything. Also check the forums buy - sell items . Many hobbiest expand so quickly that they need to get rid of older supplies, stock, plants etc...., You never know what you'll find in the threads. DIY projects are a great way to save money and create an unusual tank. Now with the internet you can find all kinds of DIY projects. My usual budget is around $75 a month for 7 tanks but I usually don't spend more than $30 and that's usually in Prime and food. I have fun with my hobby on a low budget. Hardware store, Dollar stores are my friends. :) All I can say is have fun and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 1:21 pm

great info. thank you for sharing./
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 2:31 pm

Yes great info.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 2:42 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 6:30 pm

And only take CASH with you no matter where you're shopping. That way your eyes don't get bigger than what you can afford. Budgeting your hobby 690297
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 6:37 pm

For me that's a given. ONLY CASH!
Back to top Go down
sfagrad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sfagrad

Favorite Fish: : Clown Loaches - Fav FW

Yellow Tangs - Fav SW

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 7:38 pm

Good advice

Budgeting your hobby 858205
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 10:02 pm

Well said!! yes
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

Favorite Fish: : Bettas, Gouramis, Corys

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 10:18 pm

Good read for those of us new to the hobby. Especially the ones that want to buy everything they see like me, lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 9:22 am

Hey Vamp that's why I started doing DIY projects.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 9:24 am

yes nice, the only problem with me is going on aquabid and buying a large sum of betta and the exotic fish in my lfs but i can control myself with that but not the bettas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 10:27 am

sounds like someone needs to discontinue their paypal acct until their control is better. LOL I'm the same way.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 10:50 am

ya well if karen stops putting good bettas theni would be really good bout budgetting but of course i gotta get some nice bettas. once they breed tho i can sell them at lfs so in the long run i would be making money and this is the last shipment since this one is going to be 135 and i owe my bf 132 and then i got my horses board which is 180 and then my car insurance which is 104 lol so im broke.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 11:23 am

Hey try living on Social security. Really have to be tight with a budget. I don't own a car so that saves quite a bit, but this 100 degree weather isn't helping the electric bill. LOL
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 12:54 pm

lol tell me bout i work 3 jobs to keep everything going and i hav a pick up truck to boot hate that thing but got a new transmission in and that wasnt cheap.
Back to top Go down
redfishray1968
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
redfishray1968

Favorite Fish: : 180gl Oscars

120gl Green and Rotkeil Severums

37gl Honduran Red Points & King Pleco's

36gl Bowface with Discus and Royal Pleco & Scribble Pleco

10gl Jewels

10gl Convicts

Bristlenose Plecos

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 8:05 am

Yes Credit Control issue is a BIGTIME issue in the US today ...CL is a great way to save money ...when you need other things (live stock,food ect) throw a add on here ..Someone will have it
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 8:08 am

Budgeting your hobby 858205 thats a good point.., sometimes i go crazy spending money for fish supplies and fish lol..
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, African Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 10:18 pm

I don't know about you, but I use this site:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/

Their stuff is so much cheaper than buying in Petco or Petsmart. You can buy in larger quantities, what I do is buy all my supplies at once, and pay ONE shipping and handling charge of 8.99, no matter how much you buy its one rate shipping.

Also they have 'Bill me Later" which is awesome cause I can pay off the total in two months instead of all at once. They finance charge is like nothing, a few dollars that's it!

And their customer service is unmatched!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 10:23 pm

I get foster and smith catelogs. Great deals!
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 10:30 am

Last edited by vman on 11/26/2010, 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, African Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 10:41 am

OMG yea, the first time I successfully bred Fronts. was like 4 months ago. I grew them to a little over 1 inch. I brought them to a nice fish store called Uncle Ned's fish Factory, and he gave me $15 for each of them. I had 56 of them!!!!!

I came out of that store with over 800 bucks in my hand!!!!!!!! OMG IT WAS GLORIOUS!!!!!

I went there the other day and he still had all of them, not one died. They almost 2 inches now, he wants to grow them to like 2.5-3 inches then prob. sell them for 40-60 bucks each, even he will make a good profit. But yea Vman I totally agree!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 11:08 am

Niceeee work both of you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 1:45 pm

Now that's working the budget! lol!

Wat to go!
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 3:34 pm

Budget?!?! We don't need no stinking budget!!! $$$ Budgeting your hobby 690297

We get most of our stuff at little or no cost. It's just a matter of cleaning, and sometimes resealing. With a little imagination and effort, you can use just about anything for decoration.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Budgeting your hobby   Budgeting your hobby Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Budgeting your hobby
Page 1 of 1