UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My Tank Pics Are Up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

Favorite Fish: : The Kind That Swims

My Tank Pics Are Up Empty
PostSubject: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 3:25 pm

Ok guys I created a folder and put a photo of my 75 gallon with My Boxer Boomer in front of the tank I will keep more pics coming as the tank progresses
My Tank Pics Are Up Img_0010
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 3:30 pm

it looks great!!! really nice tank!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 3:36 pm

Nice tank and cute dog!
Are you using filter media from your other tank to cycle this one?
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 3:50 pm

I poured some water from my other tank in there!
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 3:51 pm

ty yea boomer he is 5 yrs old lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 4:32 pm

The water does not hold the bacteria needed to convert the ammonia. You need to take your filter media from your other tank and wash it in the new tanks water. What you are trying to do is get a decent amount of the brownish slimy gunk (your bacteria) into the new tank. Once you do this you will need to feed the bacteria to keep it alive. A pinch or 2 of flake food daily. This will rot and create ammonia for the bacteria to grow and multiply. If you don't have a ammonia nitrate and nitrite test kit get one liquid test kits are the best kind. You need to be patient while you cycle the tank and test every week or so till you get and ammonia spike(5.0 mg/l is the spike) This will go down and your nitrite or nitrate (help me out guys I get them confused) Will spike next. once those have both spiked and gone down to ok levels (0 would be good) Then you are in the clear to add fish without problems later on. Neglecting to do this causes fish deaths and/or shortening their life span considerably.

Or if you have tadpoles in a pond outside net a few(20-30 for this size tank) and throw them in and they will cycle it quicker. Feed the algae discs. The downfall of that method is you may have frogs in your house if you don't trade them out as they get big for smaller ones.

I hope that helped clarify the process.
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 4:55 pm

I also added some cycling stuff that I cycled my last tank with and it is solid brown stuff it worked great with my last tank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 5:31 pm

Most of the 'quick cycle' stuff doesn't work. Did you have a constant of 0 ammonia in your other tank? Was the stuff refrigerated? If not I doubt that it was live bacteria.
I would say do a silent cycle with plants but I think cichlids and plants don't mix.
Add some filter slime to the new tank and feed it. At least wait till your ammonia spike is over. I know how bad it sucks to have an empty tank just sitting there wanting fish but trust me on this. You and your fish will thank me.
After the ammonia spike (or full cycle if your patient) is over do a 50% water change and add fish slowly. A fish or 2 a week is a good number on small tropical's. I'm not too sure how much waste cichlids produce, I'm sure its more than typical tropical's though because most cichlids are larger.
I'm not trying to fuss at you, so don't take it the wrong way, I am trying to help.
Back to top Go down
jk
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 7:33 pm

Ammonia-Nitrite-nitrate
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 9:45 pm

I dont cycle. I use tank water from my other tanks. Cycling is a waste of time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 4:55 am

My Tank Pics Are Up 196631 KMX none of the good bacteria live in the water My Tank Pics Are Up 196631 At least use an old filter on a new tank or something My Tank Pics Are Up 196631

Oh, rusty that is another way to kick start it. Use your old filter on your new tank for few weeks. The bacteria will spread from there. It lives on nearly all solid surfaces in a tank, decor gravel, rock. You could also throw some of the other tanks decor in the new tank.

Thank you jk
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 8:44 am

I just use a old filter, some rocks that have some good bacteria and some of my tank water that is already established in another tank. Better?

Sometimes I just do the water and some rocks..... Ive never had fish die b/c of this.... I learn by doing not by others opinions. My Tank Pics Are Up 690297
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 9:03 am

Quote :
I learn by doing not by others opinions.
I do agree with this. That is how I came up with my tadpole method. They are free they create ammonia and you just swap them out when they start growing legs. Plus it is a quicker way to cycle than the several month method most use. But for goodness sakes don't use fish you paid good money for to cycle a tank.
If you are planning a new tank throw a piece of new filter cloth in the filter on a running tank and get you bacteria seed from there. It is not that hard to do it right even if you do find ways to cut corners on the process. I've got 3 new sponge filter stuck in my 20gal seeding right now for my cory fry. It looks like heck but seeding them keeps the fry alive and healthy. I also have a canister running on my 75gal that was bought for my 30gal I will be setting up once I build a stand.
Its all about the bacteria. KMX you have a clue about fish. You know what to do with ammonia spikes someone who is new to fishkeeping does not. Teach them how to do it right and they can find their own way from there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Tank Pics Are Up   My Tank Pics Are Up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Tank Pics Are Up
Page 1 of 1