UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

-SL- Fern - stock list

Go down 
+10
pillierox1
bimmertech
thebanker
istrober
CajunGator
KMX
Ghoulish_chaos
alkomist
BFinley
reflexhunter2
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

-SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

fish fish fish fish fish fish

Last edited by Fern on 3/9/2011, 6:12 pm; edited 20 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/9/2010, 2:46 pm

And I just found leleupi eggs in the 55g
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/9/2010, 4:46 pm

congratz on the new eggs... dang is anything not breedign in your tanks... LOL

lol!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/9/2010, 4:49 pm

I wish my fish would breed like yours do.Mine must be stupid fish. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/9/2010, 5:09 pm

The skirted tetras have never bred for me lol!
I think it has something to do with the variety of foods I give them, at any given time I have at least 10 different kinds of food for them all between the frozen and dry stuff. I know I wouldn't want to eat the same thing all the time so I try to give them all good variety.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 10:13 am

Have you ever bred any type of Tetras before?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 11:13 am

No but I have watched some tiger barbs I used to have spawn with the corys following sucking up the eggs Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 11:26 am

Oh man that would have been cool to have some Tiger Barb fry.I used to breed Angelfish and Oscars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 11:58 am

It was in my heavily planted 75g before I switched it over to brichardi, there was no way I was gonna catch them without tearing up the tank. If I had been able to get fry from them it would have been cool, it was and albino and regular color pair.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 12:04 pm

Oh that would have been cool albino and regular pair.I just got 2 brichardi's from Kory the other day and there awesome fish.I want more know.I wouldn't want to tear up the tank either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 12:13 pm

The brichardis will eventually breed everyone else out of the tank, its best to give them their own. They raise their fry very well. They need sand to dig in and I have never had them harm any plants, well other than burying it, but they don't dig near the roots much at all. I find that laying some bits of marble tile works well for them, they just excavate their cave to their liking under it, also a few very stable lean-tos for the m to excavate in seem to work as well. I don't give them full blown rock-work, its too risky with how much they dig. Just some random stuff for them to dig up under and they are happy.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 12:20 pm

Yes I will put them in there own tank.How do you tell male from female?Will a 40B be a good size for them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 12:30 pm

40 breeder is good. There's really no way to tell besides venting or watching belly size. I've got 25 or so not counting fry in my fully planted 75g and they are constantly spawning. Give them a good 1" or so of sand and a few rocks and plants and they should be happy. I would get 2-4 more though. They have a clan mentality, everyone helps raise the fry even the older fry help in raising and defending the nest. Right now all of my fry are being raised by one set of parents and their fry in the same cave, every one else is on perimeter guard, not sure who moves the wigglers after they are laid but they all end up in that one cave.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 12:33 pm

Cool they sound easy to breed.Are they?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 12:42 pm

They are easy in the fact that they care for their young and you never have to pull them from the tank.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 12:55 pm

Well then I will get a few more and let them go at it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 1:34 pm

ya a total of 6 in that size tank with some plants and rock would be ideal.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/10/2010, 1:39 pm

Ok then I need 4 more and soon setup a 40 breeder.Thanks for the info!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 9:47 am

Updated and slightly reformatted, I also added the fry list!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 5:28 pm

Updated once more. I'm going to be clearing out my corys to make way for either sterbi or adolfoi corys. I'm also going to be getting a pair of butterfly goodeids who are nearly extinct in the wild as well as in the hobby.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 8:42 am

well u know where u can send ur corys at and of course ur tetras!!!!!! the kids r doing great the kuhlis r just running round like madmen and they luv my horse faced loachs that all they do is follow them trying to mimic lol. the mollys r doing great still to small to put them in my 55 for my comfort and the cory is a goofy little man which i named him little man lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 8:26 pm

I will try to bag one of the corys again soon and see if they still go belly up in the bags.... if they do I will have to sell them local if not I'm sure they would love Texas lol!
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 8:37 pm

Fern, I had read something in the past saying that when corys are stressed, like when being netted, they release a toxin into the water. When put into the bag they release the toxins and in turn poison themselves. The author recommended chasing them around the tank for awhile before bagging them in water previously taken from the tank. Sounds kinda crazy, but might be worth looking into.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 8:45 pm

In all of my readings on corys I have never heard this....
My guess in the GH in the water was too low and when I added O2 to the bag it knocked the PH way off.
Its the first time I have run into this and I have shipped quite a few corys....
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 9:12 pm

I agree that it sounds kind of crazy as I have purchased plenty of corys and never had any die in the bag.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 9:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This article mentions the release of toxins at the very end.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 7:35 am

ya def see how they do is they dont want to be in texas thats okay i can get some at my lfs but i really do want ur tetras wen i saw that pic in the contest i was wowed by them and ever since ive been looking for some and find nothing plus that my favorites bfs fish lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: -SL- Fern - stock list   -SL- Fern - stock list - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

-SL- Fern - stock list
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next