UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Breeding Facility in Tennessee

Go down 
+29
Cichlid Lover
reid429
jaiko1975
Caton
thedwightguy
bristlenosedude
alan j t
mike205
76dragon
MarkM
istrober
Jeepluv77
beattyfish
vman
Mlegion1988
nitty
proyect01
BFinley
KMX
unknown
ricardorocks
CajunGator
whisper
thebanker
Mr Fish
h0ngkn0t2
Holey Rock of Texas
TanyaQ2000
musiccitycichlids
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

Favorite Fish: : Benthochromis Tricoti, All variants of Zaire Blue, Calvus, Trophs, Gobies, Rhamphochromis, Lethrinops, African Tigerfish(in my dreams)

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/13/2010, 12:03 am

First topic message reminder :

I have started an improved breeding facility because my fishroom isn't big enough. I decided since the aquarium trade is down at least 40%, why not throw a bunch of money and time into it and see what happens.

All I have done to this point is the floors, which have already been a headache. I tried to acid stain and seal, but I couldn't get the cr@p up good enough for it to look good. So I got a colored sealer the same color and went over it again.

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0028[/url

[url=https://servimg.com/view/15274612/60]Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0029

Before
Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0030

I am going to have 14 racks of tanks with each rack holding 4 30g breeders, 2 125g, and a 55g reservoir tank on top. One row of tanks will be dedicated to Wild Tanganyikan breeders, and I will have a buffer doser to drip a brine solution into the reservoir tank. I will only buffer all other tanks with crushed coral or something similar.

My room now is on a central system, which has in the past been cross contaminated. To avoid this, this new set up will be an auto water change system, getting a daily change on a drip. The reservoir will gravity feed to the tanks below and that water will drain out to outside ponds. All tanks will have individual lines coming down so tank water won't mix.

I plan on heating the entire room, and I am spending a bit extra in insulation which I hope will pay off in the long run. I am planning on mostly africans, but I might work in a row of new world, angels or discus.

I know the fish biz is hard, and because of the economy in decline. At the same time there are more wholesalers than ever online which makes it even tougher. I plan to focus on the southeastern part of the country, especially where I can get next day ground, and hopefully at least recoup the setup cost and such.

So anyway, you guys will get a first hand look at something starting and doing well, or you will see me go all in on a pair of deuces. Either way, hopefully it will be entertaining.

I will keep a photo journal of progress.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 9:28 pm

http://www.marinedepot.com/dosing_pumps_top_off_aqua_medic_SP_3000_sp3000_niveaumat_reef_doser-ap.html

something like that, and i think they can connect with devices like aquacontrollers etc..

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=2&Itemid=40
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

Favorite Fish: : Benthochromis Tricoti, All variants of Zaire Blue, Calvus, Trophs, Gobies, Rhamphochromis, Lethrinops, African Tigerfish(in my dreams)

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 9:45 pm

Thanks, that is what I am looking for.
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, African Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 11:34 am

OMG that is an awesome dream, I believe if you stay dedicated enough, you will reap the rewards eventually. : )

If I lived closer I would so help you for free. Some day I would love to do the same thing, there isn't ANYTHING like this in RI.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 12:32 pm

dang how large are the solar panels you are putting over that fish room??
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 12:44 pm

do you mean the garage door ? lol
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 10:23 pm

Dry wall hung, electric done. I have 2 pics below, one is a 4" line out that will run to some ponds, and the other is the water line in. We built a wall separating the garage door from the room for insulation purposes. We used mold resistant dry wall and insulation with vapor barrier. Next will be blow in insulation for the ceiling and finishing tape/ mud. Then we will do plumbing and build stands. This has been a chore, but I am learning a lot about how to finish out a house, even if I didn't want to.

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0011[/url

[url=https://servimg.com/view/15274612/67]Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0012

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0013

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0014

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0015

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0016

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0017

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0018
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 10:29 pm

And no solar panels, cost to much and they said we had too many trees.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 10:31 pm

Wow awesome progress.... looking Gooddddd....

yes
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 10:43 pm

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 858205
great work !!!! Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 690297
Back to top Go down
beattyfish
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 10:12 am

When you get done...you will realize your fish room is too small.LOL
Keep us updated, love the photos. I need more details about the road trip. My car holds 7 and we will be coming from Georgia! LOL
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2010, 9:12 pm

UPDATE

One row of tanks along each wall, and 2 rows back to back in the middle. The water in and out are the white pipes on the back wall. I will be shooting to fill the area floor to ceiling with tanks. I am starting the stands and plumbing this week.

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0010

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0011
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/7/2010, 12:02 am

Looks fantastic! I'm so excited for you. Keep the pic coming, please.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/7/2010, 6:37 am

wow, stunning place!! looking good! i can't wait to see that place with fish on it!! Bravooo! good
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 9:57 pm

Starting on stands. Each rack should hold 8 30g longs or 6 30g longs and 1 125g. I am shooting for 16 racks.

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0012

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0014

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0013

Just 15 more racks to go
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 10:05 pm

Awesome, looking good! Most of us can only dream of having a fish room that size and that nice.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 10:08 pm

Looking great. I need to do some of that myself here in a few months.
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 2:56 pm

Just picked up 75 drilled 15g longs and 33 drilled 20g longs along with 8 8' welded metal racks. I still have to get 30 30g breeders, 8 125g and 2 90s. I changed sizes from all 30 breeders because I found these in great condition from a bankrupt fish store. Will post pics as soon as I can.
Back to top Go down
76dragon
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 3:34 pm

Great, looking forward to updates
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 6:33 pm

looks good ive been waiting for a good breeder kinda close by that i can trust
i mean by i get what i order
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 7:12 pm

Mike, I know what you mean. I have a couple of good suppliers I have been using for a couple years. I plan to be up and running in a couple months.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/12/2010, 8:47 pm

let me know when ill be on you waiting list if you need any breeding pairs let me know i can help you with some of them
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/13/2010, 5:51 am

nice wood for racks, are those tempered wood??
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/13/2010, 12:35 pm

Looking awesome!!!!!

yes
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/13/2010, 2:28 pm

It is treated wood. It has warped a little which is why I didn't want to use it. But it was on sale for $2 a piece at lowes so I went ahead and tried it out. I have 8 steel racks as well which are pictured below.

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0015

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0016

Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Dsc_0017

Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/13/2010, 2:50 pm

Wow!!!!Can't wait to see it finished!!!

yes good
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/13/2010, 2:57 pm

wow. hello bigtime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Facility in Tennessee   Breeding Facility in Tennessee - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Facility in Tennessee
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next