UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika

Go down 
+4
J*Hawk*83
BFinley
sal
jcsmit7
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Empty
PostSubject: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 1:29 pm

i am looking at changing out the substrate in my 125 gallon aquarium, its been black gravel for 2 years now, thinking of black sand. anyone have suggestions?
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 1:52 pm

I think sand is a good sub. for all african cichlids. my opinion.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 1:59 pm

a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika 858205
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 2:02 pm

Cichlids LOVE sand! But they will make ditches in it.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 3:55 pm

Black sand is the way to GOOOOOOOOO
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 4:11 pm

i bunch of tangs with turn almost jet black on black sand. which tangs are going to be in the 125
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 6:25 pm

there are black ink fin calvus's, frontosa's, white ink fin calvus's, red head compressiceps, a gold head compressicps, eventually yellow head calvus's and Eretmodus sp. "blue point south"
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 7:38 pm

i know from experience that the whites will not be white on a black substrate. who knows tho black does look really nice and i am sure you know what you are getting into as you have black gravel currently.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Private First Class
Private First Class
Angel

Favorite Fish: : Today? Black Ghost Knife. I think! There are so many!

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 6:27 am

My only beef with black sand is that it's so dang light. I got some for my frontosa tank and when it wasn't staying at the bottom of the tank when I was refilling it was test with the python time, and I couldn't get close enough to it to lift anything from the sand without lifting gobs of the sand itself. Anyone have a tip on heavier black sand than the stuff in the bags at PetSmart?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 8:46 am

you just need to turn the force down on your python. all my tanks have really fine sand with half of them having black sand. i love it and actually find it really easy to clean. most of the waste will be swept into your filter intake as it can not set stuck inbetween pebbles like in gravel. you will need to have you intake close to the sand level (~2" away to pick the stuf up tho.)
Back to top Go down
Angel
Private First Class
Private First Class
Angel

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 8:49 am

I use pool sand in all of my other tanks. It's quite a bit heavier than the black stuff. I don't hook the python to the water at all for this tank just drain it out the deck door. Of course I freaked and immediately bought some black gravel to put in there, now I've got some of each and that was a bigger mistake. To get the gravel clean you have to dig. The sand will be gone before long I'm sure!
Love the pool sand. Just hover over it and the waste comes right up.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 8:54 am

have you every tried to scoop the sand/ gravel up in the net. most of my sand is so fine it will go through the net but the gravel will not. might be a way for you to seperate it back out.

wow. you must have some really lite sand. do you leave the vac in the sand or kind of jab at it?
Back to top Go down
Angel
Private First Class
Private First Class
Angel

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 8:59 am

I hover over it. I only disturb the sand in the other tanks occasionally to keep algae from growing on it. That's what I love about sand. You don't have to disturb the surface to get it clean.
I can't remember the brand I bought but yes it's so light it's like baby powder.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 9:00 am

you do have to be careful tho as toxic gas can build up under the sand if it is not disturbed enough.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Private First Class
Private First Class
Angel

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 9:03 am

I'd not heard that before! Thanks! Maybe I should stir it up more often.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 9:09 am

yeah i think it is a nitrogen build up from the bacteria breating down waste. i could be way off but i know gas will build up under the sand and it is not good for them. some things can help to prevent it like some horse head loaches, etc which h dig into the sand.

ps i am sure you know what you are doing and it is all just a trail and air thing.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Private First Class
Private First Class
Angel

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 9:13 am

Maybe I don't notice it because having Africans means it gets messed with anyway. They only dig deep when they're spawning tho.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 9:29 am

who knows i am sure you are fine.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Private First Class
Private First Class
Angel

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 9:33 am

I know I'll be more fine I'm gonna disturb more often now! <---paranoid
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 9:44 am

lol. i am the same way lol.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 5:56 pm

Yep, i totally Agree !!!!!

a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika 858205 yes
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 5:13 am

Snails work good I've heard. Only problem is, Africans like to eat snails!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika   a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a good substrate to switch to for Lake Tanganyika
Page 1 of 1