UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

20L low light planted aquarium

Go down 
+8
Holey Rock of Texas
Janie
TanyaQ2000
KMX
dano
alan j t
cichlid mania
thebanker
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

20L low light planted aquarium Empty
PostSubject: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 6:52 pm

took these a few months back, i'll get some updated ones soon.

Pictures of how it looked neglected.

20L low light planted aquarium Tranformation4

Did a little cleaning up,

20L low light planted aquarium PlantedRescaped

20L low light planted aquarium PlantedRescaped2

20L low light planted aquarium PlantedRescaped1

UPDATE PAGE 2

20L low light planted aquarium Fts1

Last edited by thebanker on 4/26/2010, 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 7:19 pm

Looking good...Keep up the good/hard work
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 8:59 pm

looks nice n' clean
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 9:43 pm

What is the arch looking thing at center bottom?
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 10:06 pm

dano wrote:
What is the arch looking thing at center bottom?
just taking a guess at what you mean, but i think you are referring to that spot where the glass is showing. I have a xp2 on a 20 long so flow is not a problem and it blows the substrate away from the glass.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 10:10 pm

very nice. Should of got some Lemons when you were here. 20L low light planted aquarium 690297
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 10:21 pm

KMX wrote:
very nice. Should of got some Lemons when you were here. 20L low light planted aquarium 690297

actually crossed my mind for a planted tank im putting togather for my little girl. should have gotten about 20.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 10:23 pm

Im sure I will have more later.
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 10:25 pm

next time i come to texas, i want you to have some of those wc rummynose tetras available.
Back to top Go down
TanyaQ2000
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
TanyaQ2000

Favorite Fish: : Discus, mollies, dojos & oscars

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime3/29/2010, 6:51 am

looks great! good pruning!
Back to top Go down
Janie
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
Janie

Favorite Fish: : Calvus & all Victorian Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 7:39 am

What were all those plants growing up on the left size like heck? In the before picture.

Nice tank I love the planted they are very nice to view.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 8:34 am

wow. looking good.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 10:40 am

any advise? getting ready to start my first planted 20gL...
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 1:27 pm

depends on what your trying to accomplish. I have a low light setup thats not to involved. Its helps to pick a substrate for planted tanks like eco-complete etc.. Leave your photoperiod at 8 hours per day, Lighting is important, but the wpg rule is kind of dated unless your going with t8s. Seachem is your friend, they make alot of liquid ferts to help in plant growth. There is a cheaper way with dry ferts once you get the hang of things though. Try going with some of the easy plants first off, like anubias, java fern, java moss, Anacharis, and Hornwort. I do 50% water changes every week or bi-weekly, and don't really vaccum the substrate. leave all the organics for the plants. And i recommend diy co2 on the lower light setups that are 30 gallons or less. Just don't let the mixture end up in the tank like mines.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 1:55 pm

Cool, thanks for the information...
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 9:33 pm

Thebanker: could you elaborate on this statement "but the wpg rule is kind of dated unless your going with t8s"..........I use T8 lighting and so far no problems.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 9:42 pm

Did you put all those plants that you bought in there yet?
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 8:43 pm

dano wrote:
Thebanker: could you elaborate on this statement "but the wpg rule is kind of dated unless your going with t8s"..........I use T8 lighting and so far no problems.

i meant you can go by the wpg rule if you have t8s, now with t5 and t5ho lighting it puts out a little more lumens per watt consumed, so you think you are getting 2wpg and it actually could be 2.5-3wpg. But im no expert, i just google things.

Ghoulish_chaos wrote:
Did you put all those plants that you bought in there yet?

I actually brought all those plants for another tank, i've yet to really "scape" it so i haven't took any pictures.

Last edited by thebanker on 4/18/2010, 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/18/2010, 9:51 pm

IMO, the watt per gallon rule was always off, If they had a lumen per gallon then it would be a good system for any type of lighting... Just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/24/2010, 6:26 pm

Few new shots, nothing has really changed i added a few vals, and some microswords in the foreground.

20L low light planted aquarium Fts-1

20L low light planted aquarium Fts1

20L low light planted aquarium Fts2-1

And the view from my bed.

20L low light planted aquarium Bedview

Im looking for more microsword to get a carpet going, but i may end up pulling them out and trying something else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/24/2010, 6:42 pm

Keep us updated on how those corkscrew vals do for you, I've never had lick with them.
Just an fyi, sword plants can get huge, I have one that takes up half of a 90g tank.
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/24/2010, 7:23 pm

yeah that swords has grown a lot. As soon as i can get my hands on the plants i really want its gone. I actually just wanted a plant that would hide the blue rena filter intake. I thought i was the only one who had bad luck with vals. These seem to be doing pretty good for the moment, i had a lot more but they melted after the yeast and sugar was spilled in the tank. I even have new little shoots coming up from them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/24/2010, 7:46 pm

If you have a LFS that will give you credit for it grow it as big as will fit and then trade it in for some smaller stuff. Mine is now roughly 1.5' tall and 2' wide and still getting bigger!
Back to top Go down
TanyaQ2000
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
TanyaQ2000

Favorite Fish: : Discus, mollies, dojos & oscars

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/25/2010, 4:59 am

banker...looks awesome! where are you at as I'd love to get the sword when you decide to sell it
Back to top Go down
seminoleranch
Private First Class
Private First Class
seminoleranch

Favorite Fish: : Currently my DoJo's they spend hours playing but over all if it has fins I am there.

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime4/25/2010, 6:37 am

I have to 2 nd Fern about the watts per gallon. I done something pretty crazy on my 55g that a lot of people told me would not work because it was not "true watts". I started out with 2 small Swords (not sure of type) last October and they have grown huge! They have produced so many babies that now all my daughter tanks have one or two and have even gave some away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 20L low light planted aquarium   20L low light planted aquarium Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

20L low light planted aquarium
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next