UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Yellow Labs Holding!

Go down 
+5
KMX
jcsmit7
h0ngkn0t2
alkomist
CSnyder00
9 posters
AuthorMessage
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Yellow Labs Holding! Empty
PostSubject: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 2:31 pm

I must be doing something right in my tanks because now every fish I have ever owned has spawned at some point! Today I got to watch the mating ritual of my Electric Yellow Labs, also know as Lion's Cove Cichlids. Here is a picture of the breeders:

Yellow Labs Holding! YellowLabs

Does anyone know how long I should let her hold and when and how to strip? Should I strip at all?
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 2:56 pm

how big are they?
they look kinda toung!!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 3:17 pm

They are young. My guess is under a year. But they did everything right and now she's holding.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 3:26 pm

Good job! and congrats! :) Are those black bars always there on those two yellow labs?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 3:41 pm

Yeah. They get lighter and darker depending on the day. Why?
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 3:48 pm

never stripped them, but i would segregate the females and it would be about 3 weeks from when i first saw them holding to when they would spit them out.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 4:57 pm

Just wondering...most yellow labs don't have the barring unless they are stressed...but yours look fat and happy. crazy
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 5:49 pm

Yeah. They get weekly water changes and they eat very well! So I shouldn't strip at all? I am worried if I put her in the other tank I have she will eat all of my BN Pleco fry.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 5:51 pm

as long as she is holding she will not eat anything. She might be territorial though. It's best to get her a 10 Gallon with a sponge filter and leave her alone. If you must strip, wait for at least 1.5-2 weeks and let the fry form. Stripping too early requires a tumbler....
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 5:54 pm

this is what i used when i had the electric yellows and Labidochromis sp. Hongi "red top kimpuma" breeding, never had them spit the eggs out, unlike the electrci blues.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751023
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 8:10 pm

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime3/25/2010, 10:36 pm

Awesome Snyder... WTG ! ! !
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/4/2010, 6:02 pm

So should I strip my Electric Yellow or not? It's been a week and a half and I know I'm impatient, but it would be nice to know what I should do soon. I have her separated in a Three-Way breeder with just the lid on top, much like jcsmit7 posted. Ideas? Feedback?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/4/2010, 6:17 pm

If you have a tumbler you can but if not no. Wait about 15-20 days.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/4/2010, 6:29 pm

I'm at about 11-12 days now. I'll hold off for a while, but she should be fine in that breeder until she spits? Will she spit?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/4/2010, 6:42 pm

She will spit around 28-30 days. But they are free swimmers before that. In the wild she holds them a bit longer for pertection. I would say wait another 4-5 days and then get her to spit ...Let her go back to the normal tank and put the fry by themselves.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/4/2010, 6:45 pm

Nice pics.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/21/2010, 8:12 pm

The other female in the tank is holding now. These fish I have are relentless! They don't quit breeding! I really need about 5-10 more tanks!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 9:55 am

cool congratz!!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 11:47 am

NICE!!!!!
congrats on the horny fish!
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 12:33 pm

O.K., so i never had a fish hold or tried breeding anything at all (except the wife)lol.
So is this picture of the Lab befor she lay's and picks up the eggs? Asking because I have a Kenyi that looks the same and won't come out of her cave.
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 2:40 pm

Bump
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 8:49 pm

Yes. It's very hard to get pics of a holding momma. They like to hide a lot. She will look like she is loading her gills up much like a hamster. Her gills will extend down and you'll know when she is holding.
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 9:14 pm

always called it turkey neck lol
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 9:16 pm

Got more turkey neck tonight! Man. Going at it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Labs Holding!   Yellow Labs Holding! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yellow Labs Holding!
Page 1 of 1