UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

nitrite and nitrate high

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

nitrite and nitrate high Empty
PostSubject: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 4:26 pm

i did a water change couple of days ago and thats wen i notice my fish just staying on the gravel. i checked my levels and my nitite and nitrate r ver high(nitrite is 3 and nitrate is 80) ammonia is fine wat do i do? ive already lost one. i dont know wat to do. should i do a water change how much and should i do it more than one?
Back to top Go down
mark
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 4:47 pm

Try salt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 4:47 pm

25% every day

Did you wash your filter in tap water or anything? Did you replace the filter cartridge?

Salt would just make it worse, I don't know why everyone assumes salt will fix everything. There are many fish and inverts that salt will harm.
Back to top Go down
mark
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 4:52 pm

Thats what i used when it happend to me and it worked.
Back to top Go down
mark
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 4:55 pm

I have african cichlids and it dident kill them but i dont know what you got.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 4:58 pm

mollies tetras platys and pleco. okay water change and wen should i stop? and i hav a water conditioner that detoxifies nitrite and nitrates should i use that wen i do my water change or should i use stress coat?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 5:44 pm

Don't use salt with the tetras. If its prime use it.

Have you done anything with your filter recently.
I thought your tank was fully cycled?

Do the water changes till the #'s are within the safe range then you can drop back to 10% every other day till your tank is stabilized then you can go back tot the reg weekly wc's
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 6:09 pm

yep its prime and i have not changed my filter or cleaned, yes i did wait till it fully cycled. idk why its started to do this and i did a water change maybe 2 days ago, but it wasnt not long ago. thx i really dont know wat im doing wat would make my nitrite and nitrate go high.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 7:26 pm

Did you recently add a bunch of fish?
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 8:52 pm

nope, the only thing i did was my water change wen the fish that died in my tank but thats it. i havent put anything else in it. im waiting to get a small fish tank before i will add more fish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 9:03 pm

Hmmm strange. Sometimes tanks just get out of whack though. Do the water change regiment I gave you and you should be fine. If the numbers stay bad up the volume you change each time.

You can add some extra prime on the non wc days that would be fine. That's why I love prime its not a bad thing if you add some extra. I use it when my back goes out on me and I can't do my water changes that week.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 11:15 pm

Fern wrote:
Hmmm strange. Sometimes tanks just get out of whack though. Do the water change regiment I gave you and you should be fine. If the numbers stay bad up the volume you change each time.

You can add some extra prime on the non wc days that would be fine. That's why I love prime its not a bad thing if you add some extra. I use it when my back goes out on me and I can't do my water changes that week.

good stuff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/21/2010, 6:59 am

Why thank you alan, I try
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/21/2010, 12:04 pm

Nitra zorb, Ammonia chips, Marineland White Diamond ammonia neutralizing crystals, Seachem De-Nitrate.....ect when used per the instructions in a filter that is set up to use packet type media or has a media cannister for loose material, will reduce ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Last edited by dano on 3/21/2010, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/21/2010, 12:18 pm

I never liked using those, when they get used up its quick and you end up with a bad spike. Plus they could starve some of the existing bacteria, you want a little touch of ammonia and whatnot in there so that the bacterial colony's grow to accommodate the bio load.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/21/2010, 2:14 pm

Fern....you gotta do what ever floats your boat.....................When you have a spike that is killing fish and doing water changes isn't working the resins are life savers............Being that there aren't many anaerobic bacteria in an aquarium to naturally reduce nitrates the nitrate level slowly rises.....The resins can be used with water changes to get the high nitrate to lower levels quicker.........It is good if tank maintenance and water changes will keep nitrate below 20 to 40, but it does not always work out............One should check for nitrate at least once a month.....Ammonia and nitrite are easier to control than nitrate, where in lies the problem......Your beneficial bacterial colonies are nitrate factories!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime3/21/2010, 4:15 pm

True, but I would hold off and see if the water changes do the trick or not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: nitrite and nitrate high   nitrite and nitrate high Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

nitrite and nitrate high
Page 1 of 1