UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

January Fish of the Month 2010

Go down 
+6
dano
nitty
fabfish
KMX
CajunGator
S&FW_FishyFriend
10 posters
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

January Fish of the Month 2010 Empty
PostSubject: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 9:33 pm

New Year, New Fish! We're going to start off slow... and then build up speed until we get into some really crazy fish! For starters, here goes!

Common name: Maroon Clownfish

Species name: Premnas biaculeatus (the Maroon Clownfish is the only Clownfish not in the Amphiprion Genus)

Synonym: White Stripe Maroon, Gold Striped Maroon Clownfish, Maroon Anemonefish, Spine-Cheeked Anemonefish

Family: Pomacentridae

Order: Perciformes

Class: Actinopterygii

Maximum size: 6-7 inches (for females, males are usually much smaller)

Environment: Saltwater

Origin: Coral Sea, Indo-Pacific (Gold Striped from the waters of Sumatra)

Temperament: Aggressive

Compatible Fish: Maroon Clownfish cannot usually be kept with any other type of clownfish or damselfish. Occasionally aquarists have been able to keep them with a few other types of these fish if the aquarium is large enough (over 100 gallons) and there is sufficient rock for designated territories. Sometimes they cannot even be kept in pairs as they will pick on one another to the point of death. They will bully anything smaller than them and many times tankmates of a similar size or slightly larger. Make sure that any tankmates are larger enough or aggressive enough to take care of themselves when housed with a maroon clown. They generally do better when placed in the tank after more peaceful tankmates have already established territories.

Water parameters:
Temperature: 78-82°F
pH: 8.1 - 8.4
Specific Gravity: 1.020 - 1.025
Water Movement: None needed, but they benefit from a slow to moderate current.

Compatible Anemones:
In the Wild & Captivity: Bulb Tentacle Sea Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor).
In Captivity only: Corkscrew Tentacle (Long Tentacle) Sea Anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis), Adhesive (Sticky Carpet or Pizza) Sea Anemone (Cryptodendrum adhaesivum), Delicate (Sebae, Hawaiian, or White Sand) Sea Anemone (Heteractis malu), and very occasionally the Condylactis Sea Anemone (Condylactis gigantea) but this is more of the exception than the rule.

Aquarium setup: For a single Maroon Clown, it is recommended to have at least a 30 gallon tank and at least 40 gallons for a mated pair.

Feeding: Maroon clownfish are omnivores and take to almost any type of food they are offered. Frozen and fresh foods as well as flake and pellet diets manufactured by fish food companies are all well received. They do best when fed several small meals a day (3 – 5 times) as they don’t eat a large amount all at once and require more of a consistent feeding throughout the day.

Breeding: All the maroon clownfish are males to begin with and in a mated pair the “female” will grow much larger and become the more aggressive of the two. They can be hard to breed in the sense that they do not always pair off the way you want them to and many times can kill off an intended mate. But once you have a mated pair they will breed fairly easily, but it may take them a few years to start laying eggs. The female will grow much larger than the male and usually darken with age and maturity to a dark brown or almost black. They require at least a 40 gallon tank just for them to breed and they generally pick a very small section of that tank to spawn. They will lay usually more than 1,500 eggs in one clutch, up to 6,000. As many as 4,300 surviving maroon clowns have been recorded coming from one tank raised hatching.

Much of this information is from the following sources:

Wilkerson, Joyce D. Clownfishes. T.F.H. Publications, 2003.

http://www.fishlore.com/profile-maroonclownfish.htm

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/clowns/maroon.php
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 9:35 pm

Thanks Miranda, great article. January Fish of the Month 2010 102652
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 11:55 pm

Sweeet. Great job. Anyone with pics on this fish?
Back to top Go down
fabfish
Sergeant
Sergeant
fabfish

Favorite Fish: : my favorite fish are my 15 inck king kamfa breeding pair of flowerhorn

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 1:37 am

cool write up miranda.... i have a tomato clown ..... and5 damsels in a 55 salt .
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 5:29 am

Great info.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 10:27 am

Look in my pics in the gallery, you will find a couple .
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/4/2010, 4:51 am

January Fish of the Month 2010 Mk10
Back to top Go down
semper
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 3:52 pm

here is mine

January Fish of the Month 2010 Maroon
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 4:42 pm

Wow! Semper is going to win so many POTM awards! Nice Picture!
Back to top Go down
semper
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 5:08 pm

thanks
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 4:55 pm

semper wrote:
here is mine

January Fish of the Month 2010 Maroon

NICE!
Back to top Go down
semper
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 6:05 pm

thanks
Back to top Go down
kfennell
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime1/29/2010, 11:59 am

I would classify maroons more as VERY aggressive, I would rather have a large sailfin tang in my tank then a mated pair of maroons if I was trying to add additional fish
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime2/1/2010, 11:07 am

this is one of my favorite salt water fish!!!!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime2/1/2010, 11:25 am

Yes I agree, one of the very popular awesome looking Salty...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January Fish of the Month 2010   January Fish of the Month 2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

January Fish of the Month 2010
Page 1 of 1