UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Red Pest

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

Red Pest Empty
PostSubject: Red Pest   Red Pest Icon_minitime12/23/2009, 9:08 pm

Has anyone even heard of this? If so. . .how do you treat it?? Is it very contagious?? and if it is. . . how do I prevent the other 30 fish that are still alive in my 75g from getting it?? Please help me. . . . chin
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Red Pest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Pest   Red Pest Icon_minitime12/23/2009, 10:09 pm

Red pest is a disease that affects fish and that can cause bloody streaks on the fins, tail and body of the fish. Blood streaks do not have to appear in all these areas for it to be red pest; it will sometimes only affect the body or fins. The disease can in severe cases cause the fins and the tail to fall of. Red pest disease usually infects already weakened fish and is uncommon in healthy fish in well kept aquariums.

Red pest is an internal fish disease and external medications are therefore seldom effective. External remedies can sometimes be effective if the disease is caught very early but it is still recommended to use internal medication instead. The best way to treat red pest is to add antibiotic to the fish food. Mix antibiotics with flake food carefully. Adding about 1% antibiotics to the food is ideal but a slightly higher dosage can be required in severe cases. Avoid using stronger doses if the case isn't severe as it can have unwanted side effects. It can be good to starve the fish a little before feeding them the medicated flake food to make sure that they eat it. There are a variety of different antibiotics that can be used, e.g. tetracycline and chloromycetin (chloramphenicol). Antibiotics can be added to other foods like frozen food as well in the same concentration. If you for some reason can't get the fish to ingest the antibiotics you can try to add no more than 10 mg of antibiotics per litre water. This will however not be as effective and might not cure the disease.

It is also recommended to clean the aquarium and adding a fish safe disinfectant such as acriflavine (trypaflavine) or monacrin (monoaminoacridine) to the aquarium if red pest is present. Use 1 ml disinfectant per litre water. Stop using the disinfectant if the fish seem to experience discomfort by its presence. The abovementioned disinfectants will color the water. Disinfectants can be enough to treat the fish in mild cases of red pest but I strongly recommend that you don't rely on that.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/redpest.php
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

Red Pest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Pest   Red Pest Icon_minitime12/24/2009, 11:00 am

Yeah.. . . I found that and read all of it but it doesn't say if it is very contagious. The "infected" fish was only in the tank for about 48 hrs and everyone else seems to be fine, just want to be sure they all stay that way. I am now short 1 female sunshine benga peacock:thx: for your help!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Red Pest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Pest   Red Pest Icon_minitime12/24/2009, 11:07 am

I would do a 50% water change and monitor the situation.
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

Red Pest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Pest   Red Pest Icon_minitime12/24/2009, 11:12 am

We did a water change and started the tank on Pimafix (figured it couldn't hurt) the day after we figured out that's what she had. Hopefully we caught it in time! Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Red Pest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Pest   Red Pest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Red Pest
Page 1 of 1