UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

can i use malachite green on plecos?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TanyaQ2000
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
TanyaQ2000

Favorite Fish: : Discus, mollies, dojos & oscars

can i use malachite green on plecos? Empty
PostSubject: can i use malachite green on plecos?   can i use malachite green on plecos? Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 9:13 am

one of my parrot fish has ick but i have a pleco in the tank with him and another parrot and an oscar so not sure if i can use MG...label says not to use on scaleless fish so i know i cannot use on my dojos but i'm thinking plecos have scales. H E L P !!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: can i use malachite green on plecos?   can i use malachite green on plecos? Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 9:40 am

Yes you can use this for a pleco but plecos are sensitive so use a smaller dose then what it recomends.
Back to top Go down
TanyaQ2000
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
TanyaQ2000

PostSubject: Re: can i use malachite green on plecos?   can i use malachite green on plecos? Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 9:49 am

thanks, KMX...maybe i'll just move him til the ick is gone - he's the 6" i got free off CL - sure don't want to kill him
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: can i use malachite green on plecos?   can i use malachite green on plecos? Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 10:20 am

Raising the temperature up to 83-85 in the tank and doing water changes daily gets rid of ich without medication. They can't survive warmer temperatures. Their life cycle is about 10-14 days; so do that for two weeks+ and the ich is gone. Be careful when moving your pleco to another tank if you choose to go that route...ich in its larval form is free swimming, your pleco could carry the ich to another tank if you aren't careful. If it is JUST your parrot, I would move the parrot and treat it in a 10-20G QT tank vs treating the entire tank with MG...waste of resources.

Please note that if you do raise the temperature that you must provide adequate water circulation via powerheads or air pumps.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: can i use malachite green on plecos?   can i use malachite green on plecos? Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 10:23 am

Raising the temp is the best way to get ick to cycle thru.
Back to top Go down
TanyaQ2000
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
TanyaQ2000

PostSubject: Re: can i use malachite green on plecos?   can i use malachite green on plecos? Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 10:53 am

ok - i can move the one parrot to a 10 - thanks guys

if i wanted to treat the tank, do i remove the filtration or just stop it? if i am to remove, do i remove the bio-wheel too or just the charcoal filter?
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: can i use malachite green on plecos?   can i use malachite green on plecos? Icon_minitime11/28/2009, 11:12 am

Just remove the carbon, leave everything else alone. The filter should to be running to circulate water.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can i use malachite green on plecos?   can i use malachite green on plecos? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

can i use malachite green on plecos?
Page 1 of 1