UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Sun catfish

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, bettas, red tail sharks, dragonfish, cichlids.

Sun catfish Empty
PostSubject: Sun catfish   Sun catfish Icon_minitime7/30/2013, 2:42 pm

So, a few weeks ago, my husband and I were at the store to buy a fish. ONE fish. For our 10 gallon tank. We left with a platy, and a sun catfish. So much for our one fish.... The sun catfish went into our 25 gallon (we will be upgrading here in the next few months or so). Well, I cant be sure that the catfish is eating. We have an oscar and a medium pleco in the tank with him (they get along well enough). I put cichlid pellets in the tank to distract the oscar, and throw several shrimp pellets in for the catfish. I never see the catfish go after the food. He mainly hides in the PVC pipe we put in for him. I also put nori in the tank on a clip. Someone is eating the nori. Im pretty sure it isnt the Oscar (he doesnt seem to like it. He would devour romaine lettuce when I put that in there). So, would the catfish eat the nori? Or is it likely the pleco that is eating it? I also tried live food (I read online that sun catfish will eat live food) but the Oscar eats them all before the catfish has a chance to see them. So any advice?

Here are some pics.

In the bucket we were acclimating him in.

Sun catfish 601692_10201067767552753_2077105619_n

Swimming with the Oscar.

Sun catfish 1006159_10201067767752758_2086411926_n
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

Sun catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun catfish   Sun catfish Icon_minitime7/30/2013, 11:38 pm

I have a sun catfish in my stepdads 210g that's 10" and it eats anything we put in there! All cats are scavengers so they will eat when they are hungy plus you need to give them time to get use to the tank and yes they do hide a lot! You need to look into a bigger tank soon and that will help!usafishbox 
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

Sun catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun catfish   Sun catfish Icon_minitime7/31/2013, 7:08 pm

Yeah, I know we need a bigger tank. It is in our plans for the very near future. We just "had" to save this guy. He was up for adoption at Petco. We got him for $5! We just couldnt pass him up. Plus he was in their plant tank with a cichlid that had been beating him up.

So, is there anything in particular that we should be putting in the tank for him? Or is the shrimp pellets good? My husband keeps telling me to put some flakes in the tank, but I dont think he will go for those. Plus with how big he is, flakes just wont do.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

Sun catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun catfish   Sun catfish Icon_minitime8/1/2013, 12:06 pm

Do pellets and frozen! Just cuz you don't see him eat when you feed him doesn't mean he doesn't eat! He will eat when he wants to! Lots of catfish like to hide a lot!usafishbox 
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

Sun catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun catfish   Sun catfish Icon_minitime9/30/2013, 5:28 pm

Well, its been a couple months and he is still doing really well!! I *think* I have seen him maybe possibly eat something, but cant be sure. Im pretty sure he is eating the oscar waste, because there is not nearly as much oscar poo in the tank now. I still put shrimp pellets in the tank in hopes he gets some before the oscar does (we distract the oscar with food on one side of the tank and put the pellets in the other side, lol). He seems to be doing good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sun catfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun catfish   Sun catfish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sun catfish
Page 1 of 1