UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Bought my first saltwater tank

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

Favorite Fish: : Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga

Bought my first saltwater tank Empty
PostSubject: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime5/27/2012, 1:48 pm

I finally bought my first saltwater tank. It's a 35 gallon tall cube. It has about 25lbs of live rock, live sand, and a 250 watt metal halide light. It didn't come with any filtration so I just have a small hob running right now. There is room underneath for a sump, so I might be looking to get one as well as some kind of skimmer. Ill try and post some pics shortly.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime5/28/2012, 8:14 am

250 watt MH is a bit much for a 35g tank what do you plan on keeping in it?
can't wait to see pic's!!! and congrats!
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime5/28/2012, 8:24 am

I probably wont end up using the 250watt. It's going to be a reef tank. What type of lighting is best for it? The problem I have with this light is how bright it is. It lights up the entire room. I'll post some pics real quick.
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime5/28/2012, 8:27 am

Bought my first saltwater tank 2012-011
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime5/28/2012, 8:42 am

awe ...J thats gonna be a sweet setup! love it! I've always liked cubes:)
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime5/28/2012, 8:52 am

Thanks! Im excited about it. What type of light would you suggest using for this tank? Aqua traders has a 20in 4 bulb t5 with moonlights for like $50.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime5/28/2012, 9:20 am

it depends on what you want to keep, 250 watt MH will grow anything "SPS" but they need water params to be right on like Alk, Mag,Cal so it would require dosing these elements the smaller the tank the more difficult it is to keep it stable, then you have another problem if you use the 250 watt because your tank is very likely to over heat "not much water volume", you could use a chiller like I do on the pony tank but they can be pricey. now if you plan to keep Zoa's, leathers and soft corals you will do great with the 4 bulb T5 and wont have over heating issues to deal with, keeping the top open will give you good gas exchange but watch for jumpers. I know a Reefer thats sell polypropalene mesh that I get from him really cheap then I go to Lowes and get the screen frames and make it custom fit so my expensive fish can't go carpet surfing. I can hook you up if you want to get the mesh in the future:)
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime5/31/2012, 1:50 pm

good
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime9/7/2012, 10:47 pm

Sell the mh and invest in a nice little LEd fixture. Check out apolloreef leds. It doesnt have to be anything super fancy like a ecotech. Leds are the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first saltwater tank   Bought my first saltwater tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bought my first saltwater tank
Page 1 of 1