UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bobcom
Private
Private

Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Empty
PostSubject: Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)    Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Icon_minitime3/25/2012, 12:11 am

I purchased two females and a male bout a year ago. Since I'v had them they have bred twice. First time they were all in the same tank and by the time I realized they had them I was only able to rescue 3. It is somewat difficult to determine their holding status. They dont really show a gravid spot. When there fed they get fat, it's just hard to know if they have babies or not. I have noted that if you dont feed them for three four days and they still retain a fat belly they most likely are carrying. Second time both females were fat. I transfered them to a 20 breeder for one I felt they would eat the male as they were growing much faster than the male second I was sure they were caring. I reverted to feeding them minnows from the bait shop as I could keep them continously feed, I was hopefull they would leave the fry alone with minnows in the tank and a generous helping of floating plants. Sure nough a couple of weeks latter one unloaded her brood next day the other for a total of aprox fifty. Transfered them to two 2 1/2 gal. no substrate 75F, inside filter, feed them freeze dried brine, freeze dried blood worm, sally's san francisco brand mysis shrimp. I found the floating food needed to have a little agitation, with time they more readily took the food and actually attacked large portions of food to break it up. Many folks indicate they needed to seperate the fry as they grow small medium large. I found if you keep the fry in a small tank initially they all seem to have a better opportunity to feed with agitation help from the keeper when all of them have little fat bellies you can stop feeding them, thus no substrate, siphon off the bottom with airline tubing every two days or more frequent if you can, then do a drip refill and your done with your water change . After about two weeks I transfered them to a 20 gal. I most likley am overfeeding them as I want to keep them all the same size . At his stage the three initial frys are taking small cut up crawlers as well as freeze dried foods, they are in a ten gal and would most definately devoure the second batch if put together. The others are still eating the freeze dried foods. Hope some info here helps. Here are some pics. One of the moms has a deformed lower left jaw from hiting the glass when feeding

The moms

Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Img_0412

fry

Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Img_0413[justify]
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)    Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Icon_minitime3/25/2012, 12:44 am

^_^ awesome very informative
Back to top Go down
GOSKN5
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)    Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Icon_minitime3/25/2012, 11:09 am

cool fish... where did you get the parents from? I need to add them to my future fish list!
Back to top Go down
bobcom
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)    Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Icon_minitime3/25/2012, 6:05 pm

Thanks for your response, I thought I may have been over the top with my details.
I'm glad it was informative.

I got the parents from a LFS had to request for a special order. I live in Elkhorn Wi. very close to Milwaukee.

I have someone on another board interested in some of my fry. I'm going to be shipping them but never shipped them before so it will be a test of how well they ship. I'v done some cursory research but will need to do more to be assured of sucess. These fish typically sit still in ambush until they feed. Thus I have concerns about the constant motion they would endure during shipping. Does anyone have any experience with introducing live plants to the shipping bag to baffle some of the water motion, I'm concerned that the plants may introduce CO2 under no light situation.

thanks
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

PostSubject: Re: Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)    Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Icon_minitime3/25/2012, 7:31 pm

WOW totally impressive
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)    Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Icon_minitime3/27/2012, 5:08 pm

sassynurse2 you can't have them in Texas.
Back to top Go down
bobcom
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)    Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Icon_minitime3/27/2012, 10:31 pm

Dr Who is correct, they are on the Texas restricted list. Unless you have an authorized permit issued by the department.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)    Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer)
Page 1 of 1